Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Finally . . . A Doctor's Appointment!

Well it finally happened. Our insurance is all smoothed out, and we were able to get Mac to a doctor. He hasn't been since he was two weeks old. "But wait," you may be thinking, "what about his shots??" Well my friend, we aren't giving them to him. It's true. I know, slightly crazy, right? I don't consider myself to be a psycho, tree-hugging, granola hippy by any means; but with all the research we've been doing lately we've decided to hold off on immunizing. Mark's family didn't immunize at all, ever, and my family happens to be very into immunizing. So as of right now our own little family blend is this: we won't give him any shots until he's about two-ish. That way he can start to develop his own immune system (to fight off any nasty stuff that might be in the shot), and we can see if he has any weird allergies (some of the shots say not to give them to certain kids with such-and-such an allergy . . . how are we supposed to know when they're only a couple months old??). We are also probably going to give him the most basic, long-standing ones, seeing as so many of the new ones get recalled.

So in reality, without the shots, we haven't been missing out on too much with these doctors appointments. The only thing I kept worrying about was that Mac would be a stranger to a doctor should anything happen. It is important to me for him to have a physician that knows him well, who will know his history in case anything drastic happens. (Heaven forbid!!) Also, it's fun to know how your kid is doing compared to the rest of the world. This is what we learned:
  • Mac now weighs 15 lbs 6 oz, which is in the 40 percentile of his age group. At least he has more than doubled his birth weight of 6 lbs 6 oz!
  • His height is in the 85 percentile -- Mark has high hopes he is getting my family's ridiculously tall genes.
  • And his head is in the 75 percentile, which was no surprise seeing that he is, indeed, a Gunn.
  • His motor skills are quite advanced! At least the doctor sure made me feel like I had the toughest kid around. She is very energetic and positive; I think she was meant to be a pediatrician. He is sitting up, rolling over, and grabbing everything within his reach.
Good work Mac. I'm glad you are so healthy!


9 comments:

  1. How fun to see how he is growing! What an adorable little man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is soooo sweet. I just hope you are doing as much research on why we give immunizations as you are on why not to give them. It would be sooo sad if he caught something he could have be immunized for. Just want the best for your sweet little family. Love as always, Ceely

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe Ceely, I was waiting for that. And yes, I have been looking at both sides; which is why we will do them at all. I do think they work, I just think they do have more risks we need to think about, and I don't like the schedule they put you on, it's a lot for such a tiny body. Have you looked into any of the other side? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you kidding with a husband like Ryan our life has been research, research, research. i agree that the schedule they have is a little early but, the lord gave us modern medicine for a reason and that includes vaccinations. the church requires all missionaries to get them and yes they are older. In my opinion their sweet little bodies need more help to fight off these awful deseases. But it still is a great guideline to follow, backed by 40 years of overwheling evidence. One of the things that Ryan did was to divide the MMR and insist on thimerisol free. of course Ryan did most of the research. I had lots of clients with lots of oppinions and experiences. We love you very very much that's why we share our oppinions. We'll keep baby Mack in our prayers. haha we are so excited to see you in 2 weeks if your still willing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha why thank you for your prayers. And I do agree with everything you said, which is why I said I want to only do the ones that have been around for a while and DO have forty years of research backing them up; they keep throwing out new ones like they're candy and sometimes they get recalled. And I definitely do not doubt that Ryan has researched the crap out of it! And if we ever move to another country I will immunize the heck out of little Mac, otherwise I will just stick with the basics, be healthy, and he can get the rest before his mission. I do believe its a huge blessing to have all this available to us, I just also believe that there can be too much of a good thing. So thanks for your concern, and of course we will still take you as often as you'll come, assuming you're not too scared Mac will give Chamberlyn a crazy disease. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, we're good Chamberlyn has been vaccinated.:) hehe I love you allie!!! see you in a little over a week.

    ReplyDelete