Our tax return is ridiculous this year. It's amazing. We spent all afternoon Sunday discussing what to do with the money. We decided to try to be wize and save most of it . . . but we each got to pick one thing we wanted. I really wanted season passes to Disneyland; with all the people coming it makes sense to get a season pass. I'd really like to go with! Mark wanted a t.v. Now I have been raised on a home theater; that was my dad's big thing. I don't know if this has desensitized me to it, or rather made me more understanding. Either way I think it's super unnecessary, but fun.
I told him it was. He said, "I'm due, I've had this crappy little t.v. since my mission!" I kept staring at our lovely entertainment center; we convinced Ben and Katie to leave it for us, and it hides that nasty pink tile so well . . . I couldn't say goodbye to it for Mark's giant t.v.
So our conversation went something like this:
Me: "I just can't give up the entertainment center. Plus wall mounts are ridiculously expensive."
Mark: "We have a lot of money coming in."
Me: "I still want to keep this. If you can make your giant t.v. fit, we can do it."
Mark stared at it for a long time, then got a little grin. "I can do it. I know I can . . . shake on it!"
Me: "Wait, if you buy one, you have to buy one you're satisfied with . . . no more t.v. for a really long time, like until we have so much money we don't know what to do with it."
Mark: "Come on. What if we get to build our own house someday and I make a spot for it?"
Me: "Fine. No more t.v.s until we are building our own house." (I foresee that being YEARS down the road.)
And so we shook on it. Mark spent the rest of the evening measuring the entertainment center and researching all kinds of t.v.s online. Monday morning he sprang out of bed at seven, marched downstairs, bought a saw and started hacking away at the entertainment center. All morning he sawed, sanded, nailed and painted like crazy. This is the aftermath.
Around one he announced he had finished, so we set out to Best Buy to hit their President's Day sale and bought his perfect t.v. A 42" plasma screen on sale for $600. A good day.
Yay for old keep-sakes:) Way to put your foot down all and way to go Mark for being such a sweet hubby!
ReplyDeleteThat's funny-just a day or two ago Kent and I had the same type of talk, only I want a piano and he wants a projector to replace our TV. I'm not sure if we'll get either-we are also hoping to save most of it.
ReplyDeleteHopefully we can remember how great it was this year in the future when we aren't getting so much back at tax season. :D
YEah, I'm glad that you got season passes!!!! ; ) Did you file your own taxes? If so what program did you use?? IT's on my list of things to do!! P.S. sorry about the blow out. We can realate!! ; )
ReplyDelete