Sunday, February 28, 2010

Blessings

Today we got to speak in Sacrament meeting. Again. The last time we spoke was oh . . . three weeks ago? We either did a fantastic job and they wanted an encore, or we did horrible and they decided to give us one last shot. In all truth, I think it's because we are fairly new and the second counselor has no idea who we were when he called us to ask if we could speak. I'm pretty sure when we walked up to the stand he thought, "Oh. Oops." They did throw a curve ball at us by having Mark speak first, (that has NEVER happened!) but that only threw us off for a minute. Mark did a fabulous intro and got the congregation laughing. You know how for some reason you always feel like you have to start off with a funny comment to get people's attention? Why is that? Well Mark spoke on President Eyring's talk "Be Ready" and did great; he's not near as bad as he thinks he is. He's honest and straight forward; I like to hear him speak. Just needs a little confidence boost. And he even took up exactly half the time! Generally I go first and suck up as much time as I possibly can so he can breath a little easier (I don't mind speaking near as much as he does), and so I expected him to leave me quite a bit of time. But that little gem went exactly halfway; I even cut a few things out. That's a great feeling. I attempted to talk about Elder Cook's "Stewardship--A Sacred Trust".

I do have one complaint about Mark's talk . . . he told everyone about how I prayed to be a mermaid -- seemingly irrelevant -- but connected it by saying that it wasn't in God's plan for me, and even if Nephi in all his faith had asked to be a mermaid, God wouldn't have done it. When I got up I was quick to clarify that I was six when I did that; it most definitely had not been since we were married. When sacrament meeting ended, a good sister said, "Good job up there, mermaid girl!" I suppose there are worst things to be known as.

And who wouldn't want to be a mermaid? At least for a day or two. Come on, wouldn't you want to explore the depths of the ocean and play with dolphins? You could save Nemo in a heartbeat. Gads I still remember that feeling of anticipation as I pulled off the covers . . . and there were my scrawny white legs. Oh the doubt that was cast into my six-year-old mind! Is there even a God? Luckily I didn't give up and made it through that challenging time in my life.

Another bonus to our Sabbath day . . . I am now a Primary teacher to the five and six year olds. And I will never be bored again; their energy is astounding. Mac is endlessly entertained by them, and Mark is green with envy. That is his dream calling, which is probably why I got it instead of him. I think I probably have a lot more to learn from them.

A good Sunday. Very memorable.

2 comments:

  1. Um... I never knew about your strong desire to be a mermaid. So glad you didn't lose the faith despite your unanswered prayer -- Garth's right, sometimes God's greatest gifts ARE unanswered prayers. How would Mark have found you if you were off swimming in the sea???

    And Seth officially has goopy eye in both eyes. Really gross. Is Mac still battling it? I might take him in today. I feel so sorry for him every morning when I go in to get him & both eyes are sealed shut. It just CAN'T feel good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to say the opening prayer in sacrament meeting and that was plenty for me. I can't imagine 2 talks in 3 weeks! Way to Go!! Brian and I are primary teachers to ten 4 year olds and we are shocked at the energy they have as well. It's a good excuse to take a sunday nap each week though. We can't wait to see you guys! ; )

    ReplyDelete