Thursday, February 18, 2010

V-Day '10


Ooo love. Isn't it fantastic? Heaven knows I am sure a fan. But a day to celebrate that love . . . well that has always been a minor controversy in our home; Mark has always felt that forced/planned love isn't love at all (i.e. engagement pictures, valentine's, etc.), and that it's always better if it's spontaneous. He does have a point, but I also enjoy the working-up to it; getting excited for something! Like Christmas. The season is always much more fun than the actual day. Anywho, although it's not Mark's #1 thing, he has always been wonderful at finding little things to do to humor me. Whether it be dancing, making valentine's, cooking, giving a heart-attack, or just some fantastic massages, he does not disappoint. Thanks babe, I sure do love you.

This year our Valentine's was quite stretched out; our gifts we bought at Ikea after a long day of shopping and very many new decorating ideas, we got a couple chick flicks from netflix, planned a super-fun Valentine's party, and made/bought lots of chocolate and cookies. On Valentine's day we made heart-shaped toads-in-a-whole (toast with the center cut out and an egg cooked in the middle), went to most of church (see previous post), took a big fat nap, made Mark's favorite Waikiki Meatballs, and plotted what to do with our tax return (see next post). We topped off the day with another chick flick, Kate and Leopold, which I thought I remembered liking once upon a time . . . it was ridiculous. Annoying, even. I think this Valentine's day I realized I think I'm starting to grow up a little bit. (Just a little bit.) I still love a good cheesy love story, but I also want it to be realistic. I think the definition of love definitely changes as you go through life; luckily in my case it's become more deep, more real, and more simple.

And so let me realistically say that I love my husband. I initially became interested in him because he was so mysterious . . . and I stayed interested in him when I discovered he wasn't mysterious at all; in fact he was the most real person I had ever met, and when I was with him I felt like I was at home. I will never forget when one of Mark's friends was asking him how he knew I was "the one", and Mark replied that it wasn't so much that there was a "one" for you out there; it's more that you find someone, who for one reason or another, you care more than anything about. You then have to make a decision to commit, and eventually as you grow together, you learn how to become "the one" for them. And then you truly will be made for each other. We were engaged at the time, and being nineteen I don't think my understanding of what real love is was as clear as his was. But I definitely liked what he said right there, and now that we've been married . . . coming up on three years now, I know that it's true. I love you my wonderful Markus, thank you for being the man that I can respect, admire, and give all my heart to. Not to mention your incredible hottness. Sure glad we get forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment