Monday, April 15, 2013

Sports Class

I finally got the guts to sign Mac up for his first official class.

I've been tempted before, but always felt that he would shy away from whatever the group was doing and money spent on a class would be wasted.

However, his little preschool has gotten him out of his comfort zone, and I felt like he might be ready to participate.

So, he's now in a "Tiny Tots Sports Class"

Once a week, they get together with about 15 other 3-5 year old kids and learn the basics of a new sport each time.

His first day, Mac discovered they were not doing baseball.  This about did him in.  Soccer?  Who has any interest in soccer?  Well I can tell you I've seen Mac play soccer with Mark, Grandma, and countless cousins.  He can do it.  But apparently, the sport wasn't enticing enough to coax him out of his shell and he clung to my neck for the first 10 minutes of class.

But then his team decided to do a warm-up lap around the field.  His little friends wanted to race.  I did too.

By the end of the lap, he was laughing and sprinting.  It took about another ten minutes of me standing directly behind him while he learned how to pass a soccer ball to his teammates ... and after that, he never looked back.

Now he looks forward to "Sports Day" every week.
"Mom," he tells me, "today I am going to be so fast.  And listen to my coaches."



And I tell you what ... I may be biased, but even being one of the youngest in his class, the boy can play.  Coordination is on his side.

Pretty sure he gets that from his father.

The girls' favorite part is undoubtedly Gizmo the one-eyed dog.

We are all fans of Sports Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment