Sunday, April 14, 2013

Love Stories

It has always bothered me when people say a good love story isn't worth reading because it'll ruin their marriage.  How could their husband possibly compete with this fictional character?

Well, I love a good love story, and I feel like it makes my marriage better.  Why?
  • The character will remind me of Mark and I'll think, "Oh what a stud."
  • The character will be nothing like Mark and I'll think, "Girl, if only you knew what a real man was."
And finally, reading these little stories of how these couples met, fell in love, and committed to each other takes me back to our sweet beginnings.  I tell you, somebody needs to write a book out of our story.

Maybe I will.  (Mark, stop cringing.  It's manly to woo a girl.)


Remembering all the reasons I fell in love with him in the first place makes me dance around the kitchen and hum like mad.  Re-living it makes me grateful that I had such a magical experience and will cherish it forever.

And most importantly, remembering my experiences reminds me that I am ready to move on.  To make my relationship more than just mysterious and exciting.  To make (that word implies action, people) it deep, lasting, full of trust, respect, friendship and honor. 

Spiked with fun.

If you feel the same, then gorge yourself on my list of make-you-swoon love stories:
  • "These Is My Words" by Nancy Turner
  • "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Anne Shaffer and Annie Barrows
  • "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen
  • "Moloka'i" by Alan Brennert
  • "Cleopatra's Daughter" by Michelle Moran
Read them, fall in love, and go lay a big fat kiss on that sweetheart of yours.
And maybe jot down your favorite memories with him.  Because your story, after all, is the REAL DEAL.

2 comments:

  1. I SO agree. I love reading love stories, and it always makes me so happy and so grateful to really truly be in real-life-love.

    The Potato Peel Pie Society society is one of my all-time favorite books. I've been looking for some new good one's to read--thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cleopatra's Daughter was fantastic. I'll have to check out the other books!

    ReplyDelete