Okay, does anyone else think the world is about to end??? I know I am being paranoid, and I am probably being 70% sarcastic here. (I know, it's hard to tell when you're reading something.) But let me tell you about my adventuresome afternoon:
Mac had been asleep about an hour and a half. I was sitting upstairs, attempting P90X, when I start thinking of all the things I'd rather be doing. I started thinking about Haiti, and decided I should watch the news a bit to learn about the latest updates . . . perhaps get ideas for something I could do. So I'm thinking about Haiti as I flip on the t.v., and there is a tornado warning. ??? It is coming right for us. Here?? I am glued to the t.v. "Get inside", "stay away from all windows", "stay in the center part of your house", "warning in effect until 2:00 pm". Is this real? I text Mark, thinking they probably don't get the news at school. I start to feel a little bit like I am in a movie, and then a reporter comes on who is at the beach. She says there are cops trying to get people off the pier, they want to watch the storm but don't realize a tornado is coming. She is sounding very official, but then she says, "Yes, yes, we have just seen a tornado touching down!" And the t.v. turns off. Blank! It won't come back on! In my theatrical mind, I am POSITIVE the tornado is right outside our house! I run upstairs, grab Mac, my phone, a blanket, tennis shoes, and (I'm not kidding) some cash. I immediately go down to the bathroom and shut ourselves in. You know how you can hear the outside through the bathroom fan? Well I can hear wind, rain, and sirens. (I forget that a fire station is right around the corner; I always hear sirens.) Mac is hungry, and I have a random thought: another bonus to breastfeeding. If we are ever lost or homeless, as long as I can find something to eat Mac will always have something. Sure am glad I'm able to do it. Anyway, then I am back to worrying, so I call Mark.
"Mark! Did you get my text? There's a tornado coming!"
"Yeah, I did." (laughter)
"This is serious! They said on the news it's coming right for us! And you should stay away from the windows!"
"Okay yes I will."
"Just be safe."
"Are you being safe?" (I actually think he said "serious")
"Yes I'm being safe. And serious."
(Laughter) "Okay, well, be both of those things."
"Call me."
"Alright."
I hang up. And laugh a little bit. Now my adrenaline makes me feel like this might be a little fun . . . kind of an adventure. Mac is grinning like crazy now. He is a great companion to have during a natural disaster. We can survive! My mind starts racing about food storage, 72 hour kits (which we don't have), and other survival necessities. I vow that if I make it out alive, I will become super prepared. My family will not have to worry!
Eventually I become a little bored. But don't worry, I was prepared and brought a book. After I read to Mac for a while, I start to feel silly. Why am I reading to Mac in a bathroom? I still hear rain, but it's not so windy. I clutch Mac tight to me, and venture out. The t.v. still won't turn on. I come upstairs to the computer, I find a website for tornado warnings and it says we are in the clear! Probably ten minutes later the sun came out. We are survivors!
Turns out there was indeed a tornado, it flipped over some cars and boats and caused some real damage, but it didn't last very long. And it didn't make it anywhere near us; we were too far inland. Tornadoes generally do not come to southern California. Kind of creepy . . . but an adventure. We will be prepared!
Oh and don't worry about our t.v. . . turns out I just needed to flip the circuit breaker. It was up and running before Biggest Loser came on. Whew! Can't STAND Melissa, by the way.
hahahah Allie! Im dying of laughter!! haha and sighing in relief of course. So glad that thing shut itself down, and you survived! Ha I love you I love your stories! Im sorry we keep playing phone tag, when is a good time tomorrow to call ya? Ill just try throughout the day don't feel bad ignoring my millions of calls:) All I love you, looks like everything is going great. Oh! There might be a small chance of Matt and I living it up in Cali this summer! Ill have to tell you about it!
ReplyDeleteYou are SO adorable! That post just made my day!
ReplyDeleteHAhahahha Allie I love this post :)
ReplyDeleteOh Allie, that was great! I'm still laughing. Something happens when you're a mommy and responsible for something besides just YOU. And now, you know you've got a great project ahead of you for the next little while -- 72 hour kits! Talk to Heidi. She's the expert on this sort of thing (along with MANY other things that fall under the title of 'what a mom/wife should do.')
ReplyDeleteAl- sorry to post again -- I just read the rest of your posts from the last little while. I agree with someone else who commented -- you are such an entertaining writer! Love the perspective you put on so many things. As for the being-alone adjustment you posted about a while back, I just wanted to say that I remember SO well feeling just what you expressed. Maybe it's a phase you have to go through as you adjust to the new life you've committed yourself to. My advise would be just the conclusion you came to -- Embrace It. Every stage has beauty and joy in it if you look for it and find what there is to be grateful for. And now that you can see how beneficial enrichment can be to certain people at certain times of their lives, aren't you grateful that someone was inspired to institute the program so that you could get just a little help and happiness?! One more way we can see that Heavenly Father is aware of us and our needs. Anyhow, I think I've said enough. But I also should say how much I'm enjoying getting to know my sister-in-law better through your blog. Wish I were better at it myself. I think you are one fantastic gal! Take care! Rachelle
ReplyDelete