BOOKS:
Oh my goodness, I do love reading! It's so fun to be taken to another world in novels, and then to learn a bit more about your own, or at least get a new perspective on it, in non-fiction. I never used to be much of a non-fiction reader, but I think I am enjoying it a bit more. When it was ridiculously hot right before I had Mac, Mark and I used to go enjoy the air conditioning of Borders and read all evening. I really liked that! Perhaps we'll have to go again sometime . . . of course it will probably be more fun when Mac is entertained by books for longer that 2 minutes. These are some real winners I've been reading lately:MOVIES:
In Defense of Food - Michael Pollan
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer
I Capture the Castle - Dodie Smith
The Book of Eleanor - Pamela Kaufman
Zorro - Isabel Allende
Ines of My Soul - Isabel Allende (I LOVE this author, want to read everything written by her!!!)
Well I do love movies. Mark and I have currently fallen in love with Netflix, although it is a bit of a love/hate relationship. It just makes staring at the t.v. too easy! It is fun though, to make a bit of a date-night out of it. The other night we got Tristan and Isolde and made a huge heaping cookie sheet of supreme nachos (baked in the oven; hence the cookie-sheet) filled with beans, chicken, cheese, tomatoes, sour cream, and some home-made guacamole. We were going for Durango's, which it didn't quite achieve, but it was still super tasty. Uncle Jeremy would have been jealous. The movie was pretty good; but I am disappointed in Isolde. She wouldn't leave her country for Tristan, and yet she expects him to ruin his for her? Come on. And why did Mark have to be such a good guy? Made the whole movie tragic. ANYWHO . . . some other winners we've watched:T.V.:
Brothers Bloom
The New World
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Terminator Salvation
Avatar (this one isn't out yet, but we really liked it in the theater!)
The only t.v. show we really watch together right now is Biggest Loser. Love it!!! The red team is ridiculous; I can just picture Melissa sitting in their little room thinking: "Oh, this is going to be so good . . . and then we'll shout at each other, and I'll have to defend my honor . . . and then I'll cry and hug him when he lets me talk to my kids . . ." Ugh. Give me a break. I LOVE the grey team. And the black team . . . and, basically everyone except the red team and Miggy. Wow she is scary, I was pretty sure she was going to beat everyone down when they fell behind the yellow line. Good thing Migdalia left, I think she's a ton happier without her mom around!Other than all that media for entertainment, as you can tell I do enjoy blogging a bit. I just really like to write, and with the goal of a big fat journal I can print out, I feel justified blabbing about our little lives on here. I really wish I would've been better at journaling while we were dating, engaged, newly married . . . but oh well, you've got to start somewhere, right? Besides, our posterity probably will be more interested in what life was like once they came around I'd imagine. We also like to go on walks, go walk around stores like Michael's or Big Five, or take an afternoon and just hang out at the beach. Cooking has become an event for me; we like cooking for people, lately it's been the missionaries. Life is fairly simple for me these days, and it's been an adjustment, but so rewarding. I kinda like this mom business.
Other than that, I love watching Ellen and Oprah while getting dinner ready, and Mark of course loves to unwind to ESPN or CSI. (The lead character in CSI:NY has the same name as our boy . . . a coincidence not planned, but one that Mark was definitely okay with.) I'm not quite sure which one he loves more; he generally goes back and forth between the two.
I have also started attending "Mommy Meetings" on Friday mornings. Love it!! It's so nice, especially on Friday when I've been home alone all week, to get together with other young moms in the ward and let the kids play while we talk. Of course Mac doesn't do too much playing yet . . . but I love it. Yay for new friends! And Mark is currently playing a whole lot of basketball. On Tuesdays it's intermurals for the school, and on Thursdays its good old church ball. And that is how we entertain ourselves these days.
So, I would love to take any suggestions of books/movies to add to my list!
If you haven't read The Kite Runner or A Thousand Splendid Suns they are MUST reads. I am reading a book called "Columbine" right now, it's a new release and has info that was never released to the public. Amazing book. "Night" by Elle Weisel is great too. I read that at Avalon :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you do Mommy meetings! I know that the support and love I felt during my mommy meetings with your mom, Debbie, and Verlyne saved my life (literally) more than once!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing a little of yourself with us Allie! It's so wonderful to watch and enjoy your family as it grows! love you tons!!!