Sunday, January 17, 2010

Date Night

This week I started to get a little stir-crazy sitting around the house all the time! I don't know . . . it's not that I don't do anything, I'm usually bumbling around the house doing something. Cleaning, reading, blogging, grocery shopping, cooking, and of course playing with my little man; they all definitely keep me busy. I think this week I have missed talking to people. Mark has come home several times this week to a wife starved for attention and looking for entertainment. Mark has never been an entertainer, and so frustration emerges in me!

It's all really silly, I know. I'm trying to adjust my attitude, because really, I will never have this time again. I will never be able to just play with my one little man all day. I will never be able to just sit and do nothing with my little family; each phase of life comes and goes so quickly! But you know, I have to say that being at home has been such a benefit for us, because my home and my family is now my job. I actually am starting to enjoy cooking and cleaning a little . . . shhh don't tell! It's just something for me to do that really seems to improve the lives of those I love most, and I really like that. It's kind of fun to go to the grocery store and plan a big meal I know is going to impress Mark, and it's even more fun to invite others into our home! This week we had the sister missionaries over, they were so sweet! One sister was straight from Tonga, she had only been out of the MTC two weeks! I loved her accent and she loved Mac. He could not stop grinning at her. I told her I had been trying and trying to figure out something Tonga-ish to cook for them, but couldn't come up with anything! She laughed and informed me that her favorite meal was roast dog . . . yeah don't think I could've topped that.

I also went to Enrichment night. I never go to enrichment night. The only time I have ever gone was when I was in a single's ward and was the enrichment counselor in Relief Society. Even then I don't think I went to all of them . . . and you know what? I loved it. It was so nice to talk to these women! I truly do love our ward, it's full of so many interesting people from all walks and in all phases of life! The variety is fantastic. I had so much fun talking to these gals that I went to a Mommy's club meeting later on in the week! We just met up at a park and talked while we watched the kids play . . . and I loved it. It's just so nice. I think staying at home is making me really want to reach out to others again; being married to Mark for the last two years has gotten me so comfortable and relaxed that I have really slacked on thinking of others lately. It's just too nice to only be with him.

And Mark notices everything. My sister-in-law Heidi once said he has great "womanly instinct", which sounds insulting, but it's not. He really truly sees what people are feeling . . . I try to learn from him. Anyway, of course he caught on to my exasperated feelings this week, and so Saturday we had a date night at the beach. We walked around, enjoyed the sunset and each other, and he even gave up eating at Subway (his absolute favorite place in the whole world) and we ate at Ruby's on the pier instead, because "it would be more like a date". Thanks Mark.

Mac was a gem, as he always is when we go places.





No comments:

Post a Comment