She was incredible.
It was the perfect birth to end on; I'm hoping to channel her birth prowess as I welcome my little guy into the world.
And you know, doing this doula thing has been fantastic. It makes birth an everyday miracle; not something to be afraid of, you know, "the worst possible thing a woman can go through". I hear that all the time, but it's just not true! It's an incredibly intense, powerful experience to be sure ... but the suffering part of it all isn't natural; it's been conditioned in us. Women have been having babies for centuries; we're made to do it! And with today's technology, there's a million ways to have a baby; you can go all natural or take a nap and wake up to your new family. Whatever makes it an incredible experience is different for every couple, and I love helping new little famillies figure out how to make that happen.
I wish everyone could be a doula before they have their own babies. To teach a couple specific ways to support each other more effectively makes welcoming that new addition a bonding, inspiring moment ... one that can help them love each other and their baby more than ever.
It's like getting to play the ultimate cupid.
I've done 22 families over the last couple of years, and am now taking a bit of a break as I have my own and figure out managing THREE kids. (Kinda nervous, won't lie!)
I just love this little side job. Hope I can find ways to make it happen in a year-ish from now, but even if it takes me a while to feel ready to run off to another birth, this has helped me see giving life in such an incredible way, I'm so grateful for the perspective!
And if YOU want a little more positive perspective on the whole thing, go buy "The Gift of Giving Life"; it has been my favorite pregnancy book this time around. :)






No comments:
Post a Comment