I had a blast going through our engagement photos recently.
It's fun to remember the excitement of it all; those icy-blue eyes, that half smile that meant he was really excited and trying not to show it, late night talks and plenty of snuggling and kissing. I liked how he looked at me. I liked his scruffy face and how his shaggy hair curled at the ends. I liked him because he was gorgeous and so much smarter than me ... and there was just that something else I couldn't put a finger on.
It felt right.
From the beginning, he felt like home to me.
It was like he always liked me, whoever I became or whatever I did. With Mark I had room to grow and room to be me.
And he expected the same in return.
I like that.
| "Please stop kissing me in front of these camera people." |
| "Oh my word, if I have to smile for one more picture I'm going to break something. Or someone." |
From the day we met to the day we got married was just a couple weeks shy of a year. I was a baby in so many ways; twenty years old, full of ideas and no way to make them happen. But I knew that all those grand ideas of mine would be better with him, or not at all.
Best choice I ever made.
And now, seven years later, I have come to understand more and more of that "something I couldn't quite put my finger on". He is hard working, persistant, caring, observant, truly humble, and completely dedicated to his family. Seeing him become a father has made everything more. More love, more frustration, more excitement and more fear.
We haven't been perfect, but it's sure been a good ride. I've especially enjoyed learning about working-man-Mark; I've known student-Mark for so long ... this new version has been a lot of fun.
For example ... our anniversaries have been sweet and simple the past six years, which is nice ...
But I really liked year seven.
We went out to dinner and "Wicked".
So glad I married this guy.
He is my favorite thing.

No comments:
Post a Comment