Tuesday was great at the beach; so very relaxing and warm. We actually lost track of time. I was bringing some appetizers to a baby shower that night, and so we needed to get back. By the time we got in the car it was four o'clock, just in time to hit some serious traffic. I was annoyed, and Mac started to get annoyed as well. Jamie hopped in the back to comfort him, and then suddenly he gets really angry and starts screaming. I'm directing Jamie as to where I guess the binky might have gone, when suddenly I hear a puking/choking sound. I attempt to not rear-end someone as I watch Jamie calmly and incredibly efficiently whip Mac out of his car seat as he proceeds to gasp and puke everywhere. She tilts his head down so that he could breath a bit better, and once he is she cradles him expertly until he is calm. I am silently freaking out. And yet amazed at her proficiency. I am sooo glad she is a nurse. I try not to think too much about what would've happened if I had been in the car by myself when this happened. . . that would drive a mom crazy dwelling on all the what-ifs. So we hustle home (except it took two hours to get home) and move on. We fly through the appetizers, smelly and sun-burnt and frazzled. Mac is remarkably calm, though he seems to be a bit flushed and under the weather. I pray Mark will be home from basketball soon so I don't have to haul Mac to the shower; the last thing he seems to need is more craziness.
With Jamie's help we whipped out the appetizers, cleaned up (minimally), and loaded up everything for the shower. Mark came calmly striding through the door just in time . . . I'm pretty sure Mac really appreciated a steady influence after the insanity he had been experiencing. And we managed to really enjoy ourselves at the baby shower. Congrats Naomi! Then I feel a bit guilty, and so we hustle back . . . to find Mac tucked safely in bed. Thank you Mark.
Wednesday was a day of rest; for Mac and for us. We went to a chiropractor and the doctor to make sure he was okay; turns out he had a bit of a virus. By that time he was coughing and congested and quite warm. Mark stayed home most of the day to help out (which was a real treat!) and we all just vegged. The sister missionaries came over for dinner to help us celebrate St. Patrick's, of course we had a royal feast of corned beef and cabbage. Mark and Sister Funaki were not fans, but hey, it's tradition! You've gotta pay respects to Saint Pat for . . . well, whatever he did. Thursday included shopping (matching shirts . . . thank you Ross), and then Ceely and Ryan and family stopped by on their way back from San Francisco! We braved a new Chinese Restaurant which was surprisingly good, and then Ceely treated us all to some major hair cuts (see later post). Friday we slipped away to Huntington Beach to polish Jamie's tan, and then Saturday was the swap meet with Lindy and Seth. Mix in some foot massages and way too much over-analyzing of life in general, and that is a general idea of our incredible week. It went by way too fast, and included a little bit of everything.
Oh Jamie, what would I do without you? Thank you for saving my son, cleaning my house, letting me talk your ear off, and loving my boy, my husband and me. She is one great gal.
Now if only I could get her married off. Then again, she wouldn't have as much time to spend with us . . . perhaps I'll keep her single.
Oh how I love that Jamie girl!
ReplyDeleteEveryone needs a Jamie in their life
ReplyDelete