Our lovely Sister missionaries called me the other night asking if they could bring an investigator over to our house to teach; he felt his house was too messy to talk about God in. I said "Well of course!" and so over they came. Gads, what a great night! His name is Alfonso and he is in his mid-forties, a war veteran, a substitute teacher (getting his masters), single, catholic, and the most humble guy I've ever met. I've never been a missionary before, so when I say this I really have no idea what I'm talking about, but I think he is what they like to call "golden". He's been through a lot, and just really seems to be needing some truth!
The sisters were very articulate, I loved to hear their simplistic yet profound explanation of the Gospel. This was Alfonso's very first time hearing anything about the LDS religion, and it was quite the experience for me -- having grown up in Utah and being a member all my life -- to hear everything explained in that way. I just kept thinking, gee how to people not believe? It all just makes so much sense, in your head and your heart. Alfonso seemed very interested, and had a great perspective on everything. Of course he was hesitant, it's really quite the claim to make that you KNOW a fourteen-year old boy saw God the Father and His Son. Anywho, he said he really wants to come to church this Sunday and hear our "classes", he loves the idea of really studying the scriptures, not just reading them. And he plans on already having the Book of Mormon read by then. Umm . . . WOW.
I'm really loving all these experiences. Woo! And it was also fun to see Mark's reactions to it all, I kept imagining what he must have been like as a missionary. Such a stud, how did I get so lucky?
No comments:
Post a Comment