Sunday, March 21, 2010

March Maddness

Aaaaah, it has come. Good old March Maddness. For how much my dad loves basketball, I have surprisingly few memories of him watching it growing up. He watched games all the time though . . . perhaps I just never differentiated.

My earliest memory of March Maddness is from US History class with Baldwinn back at good old Sky View. Everyone wanted his class spring semester; you unavoidably spent half the semester filling out brackets and watching games. I was one of those lucky few to participate.

But since then I never paid any attention to it. Until of course I met my dashing husband. He forced me to fill out my first bracket, which ended up being mildly entertaining. I had a bit more interest in watching ESPN with him, which was nice. Surprisingly picking teams because they "sound tough" or come from a state I've always wanted to visit, or especially because they have a big fat number to the left of them, are not good strategies. Unfortunately it's all I've got.

This year, I am dead last in the Gunn family picks. Behind Gracie even. She's two. You might worry this would damage the relationship between Mark and I, but never fear -- it's strengthened it. Mark likes having someone he can beat. And in this situation, I am more than happy to be his door mat. As long as I can still whip his sorry rear when we play Diddy Kong Racing.

1 comment: