I was wondering . . . how do you plan your meals? Do you grocery shop Monday and cook for the week? Do you write out all your meals on Sunday? Or do you go by month? Day? Do you find yourself running to the store about every other day to grab "one little thing"?
Just curious.
I definitely find the weeks that I go day by day, I end up buying a whole lot more than I really needed. I try to plan out the week, but it doesn't always happen. I must say though, there is one meal-plan that has worked like a charm for me, allow me to share:
Buy a whole chicken. (At Albertson's they're about $5-$7.)
Throw it in an enormous pot and cover the chicken with water.
Add a whole onion (quartered) and five or six cloves of garlic (I leave them whole).
Boil for about two hours, then take the whole chicken out and peel off all the meat, and stick it in a ziplock bag and throw it in the fridge.
Then throw EVERYTHING else back in the pot (skin, bones, guts; everything!) and cook the crap out of it. I mean like at least a day, two if you've got the time. Just keep it on low and simmer with the lid on.
You then have a fabulous healthy tasty chicken broth, and a lot of it! With all the meat, you've got enough for three or four meals, and I use the broth to cook rice in, to make soup, make chicken enchilada sauce, and several other things. So for about 6 bucks, you've got the main ingredients of four-ish meals!
That is my favorite so far. But we can't do that every week or we will get sick of it . . . so what do you do?
I have an awsome meal plan...what is your e-mail and I'll give you all the details!
ReplyDeleteI don't have a specific meal plan, but I do SO much better if I make a list of 6-8 meals at the beginning of the week, go shopping for what I need for those meals, and then with any luck I won't have to go grocery shopping again for at least a week. Each day I just pick which meal I'm going to make from the list.
ReplyDeleteI'll have to try the chicken thing, though-it sounds great!
I do what they do (becca and kent) I find that it works really well.
ReplyDeleteWe try to plan a week at a time but usually end up making a run to the store for something else anyway. Mac got a tooth???? How do you feel about that?
ReplyDelete