Thursday, June 3, 2010

Crawling ...

Crawling is what Mac is not doing.
Crawling is what every other baby I know does.
Crawling is supposedly a very important step for brain development.
Crawling seems impossible when rolling is much easier.
Crawling is stressing me out.

I don't think it bothered me too much till we went to St. George; there are four other cousins within a couple months of him: Brooke, Olive, Eva, and Seth. All of them are either walking or quite close to crawling. Seth is four months old. I know I shouldn't compare, but that's crazy to me!

I feel like somehow I've messed him up, like I didn't put him on his belly enough when he was too little to do anything about it. I really thought I did though! It was just that he figured out how to roll pretty quickly, and once he did that, I couldn't get him to stay on his belly for longer than three seconds. So now he scoots and wiggles and rolls ... and mostly hollers at me till I pick him up. I think I will try to not pick him up so quickly. Get ready Mac, here comes crawling boot camp!

However, he's a lot closer to walking than he is to crawling. Perhaps I'll just say he's far too advanced to be bothered with the silly idea of crawling. He'll be fine ... right? I haven't ruined him, have I?

I think I'm just being dramatic. There's nothing wrong with a non-conformist baby. Right?

6 comments:

  1. Like I said on facebook, the pediatricians say that crawling isn't a necessary step in development. Some babies just never crawl. And if he's close to walking-well that's all he needs!
    He's a cutie, even if a bit non-conformist! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I think I'd actually prefer Boston to be closer to walking! The way that he army-crawls causes that kid a new bruise on the head every day! =) I think Mac seems absolutely perfect and I think us first timers are way too hard on ourselves. We just don't know what to expect. And as much as people say don't compare, how do you not? It's something I really struggle with, i.e. my cousin's baby was born on the same day as Bos. She waves and claps while Boston will just stare at you if you try to get him to do the same. How can I not wonder in the tiniest part of my brain if there's something wrong with Boston's cognitive skills? But then when I've got Bos all on his own, the smart things he does do amaze me all the time. Ya know what I'm sayin'? You're doing an awesome job and and your little guy is awesome--don't you forget it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry at ALL. Shelley screamed bloody murder when she was on her belly and so I didn't do it. She didn't crawl till 12 months and then went right into walking. No worries, once he goes there is NO stopping him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will come! Mac is cute as ever. He's so lucky to have such awesome parents. BTW I know you were super busy but I'm sad we missed you while you were in Logan. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know anything about raising kids. But I do know that I never crawled. And I turned out alright. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ali! i love reading your blog! i know how you feel when your kid isnt doing what every other kid is doing. it feels quite normal to read other mothers blogs just to see what there kids are doing making sure lily is doing what she is suppost to do haha. i am sure mac will learn at his own time. Go mac skip crawling and go walking haha! AND I AM SO SAD/UNHAPPY i didnt know you came to logan. i missed seeing you AGAIN. hopefully that is not the only visit to logan in the near future. sorry this is really long. mac is just so dang cute. i want him and lily to have a love connection so they must meet!

    ReplyDelete