Anyway.
I love St. George. If you live/lived in Utah, you love St. George. I don't know why, it must be one of those unwritten Mormon rules, like funeral potatoes or something like that. To me getting off that exit and driving down the boulevard brings back hoards of memories of softball, stained socks, a competitive drive (don't know where it disappeared to), late nights, crazy girls, and of course, hot baseball players. Luckily I married one of them so I get to go back quite regularly.
This time, Zack was good enough to chauffeur Mac and I down, Mark met us there the next day after school. My favorites from this 6-day adventure:
- Six-hour talks with Zack. Mostly about love, my favorite subject. Here's the thing about Zack; he's pretty oblivious to things that don't directly effect him, but if he's involved, you can bet that kid knows every tiny detail you could possibly imagine. It was kind of fun to attempt to piece together a more detailed time-line of my "happily ever after" story ... first date, first kiss, first "I love you", joking about marriage, serious about marriage, proposal, the works. Thanks Zack for reminding me what an awesome life I have.
- Katie's "labor" sandwiches. Yes I'm referring to giving birth. I may not need them now, but someday. And they were soooo tasty.
- Taking over Sarah's bedroom ... again. Sarah, you are too good to me. (Please don't be angry ...)
- Rachelle. I just really enjoy Rachelle. Why don't we talk more often?
- Mac and Seth have FINALLY met! Best cousins for life! I get giddy thinking about the future sleepovers and fights and superheros ... little boys are so very fun.
- Veggie Sandwiches. Recipe?
- Sarah's graduation happened to be the second one I'd been to in as many days ... and it was significantly shorter. THANK YOU Snow Canyon.
- Grad Night ... have you heard of it? Snow Canyon's is ridiculous. All the moms get together (headed by Chris most years) and throw a party of epic proportions. It puts Sky View's wimpy Sports Academy night to shame. Only bummer is that Chris was non-existent most of the time. I suppose I could try not to be selfish though.
- Seeing Mark again! The best part about leaving him for a week? The reunion. Yesssss. There was some mad snuggling going on.
- This one is actually a low-light: Mac got ridiculously sick. I felt quite sure he might die a couple nights. Up every hour with a barking cough all night long ... and me in another state where my insurance won't really work ... good thing there were so many experienced parents around me to put me at ease. Or make me feel ridiculous, really. Goll being a first timer is so stressful. Mac has made quite the recovery, but it definitely transformed me into quite the raincloud the last few days. Why am I so inwardly dramatic? At least put it out there so I can work through it with everyone! Something I am working on....
- Getting to know Rand. I am really glad he is around to take care of Chris. She really really needs him. And I think the kids do too. They love him to pieces, he is a very good grandpa.
- The Miata. If Rand was a jerk, this little car would be enough to make me hope he stuck around. Luckily he's quite wonderful.
- (Great) Grandma Smith. She is the perfect grandma, no contest.
- (Great) Grandpa Smith, a.k.a. the Duke. Toughest man alive (though I think he's kind of a softie inside ... somewhere ...), Mark looks just like him, and Mac is his namesake. Grandma Smith once told me, "Isn't he handsome? Well, you can't have him. He's mine. But don't worry, Mark will look just like this when he's old enough."
- Cousin Baptisms! Abers and Emily were so very precious. After they were dunked, little two-year old Grace hollered, "I don't want to get wet!" Six more years, Gracie. Prep yourself.
- Mac discovered the joy of dogs. Well, of Molly anyway. She is literally the best dog I have ever seen. Sarah will you please chose and train a dog for our family?
- Swimming at a dream house. Everyone should have rich friends!
- Cousins everywhere! 17 and counting ...
- Biiiig discussions on life, health, vaccines, food, etc. It is always so enlightening to hang with the Gunns.
- Chris's yard. A little bit of heaven.
- Memorial Day was the most memorable one I've had ... probably ever. We went to Spencer's grave with everyone who was still in town Sunday evening, and sat there for probably a good hour and half, reminiscing. Everyone went around and said one thing they really missed about him, and it was very touching. As the only one there who never met him, it was really neat for me to learn more about him. It became quite emotional, and I loved it. Spencer was quite the man, and he raised quite the family. I am blessed to be a part of it!
No comments:
Post a Comment