Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sweet and Sour Belle

Oh my little angel!


This 21-month-old girl brings so much joy to our little family.  She is hilarious.  She is independent.  And she is as sweet as sugar.

When I put her to bed at night, we sing "My Heavenly Father Loves Me."  She sings along, focusing on the vowels she knows so well.  Her favorite is the "meeeeeeeee" at the end of the song.  She then pats my arm, and holds up each of her bedtime buddies for me to say goodnight to.

On any given day, when we are attempting to load up the car to get somewhere (anywhere), I run around the house grabbing snacks, spare diapers, etc. etc.  Belen is always right behind me picking up teddy bears, princesses, shoes, cars, and balls.  She even tucks things in her armpits ... just like I do.

Putting on makeup in the morning has become an event; she makes sure she gets a dab of lotion, powder, deodorant, and tries her very best to sneak my eye liner and mascara.  We also take turns brushing hair.

Then throughout the day, she constantly reaches up to brush my hair out of my eyes. Yeah.


Belen also has a real love of hanging.  And walking along curbs.  And somersaults.  I'm seeing a lot of gymnastics in our future.



She loves cereal and yogurt.  All day long, she grabs my hand and escorts my to the cupboard.  "Ceewee-o", she says proudly, showing off that closed-mouth smile.

And she has suddenly decided that speaking is fun!  Her grunts have almost completely disappeared, but she still doesn't blabber.  She pauses, thinks, and then says one little word, watching me expectantly.  These little words are often tough to decipher ... but she's persistent and we're figuring it out.  In fact, she's already at the point where I can't even name all the words she says any more.  She can say just about anything .. but my favorite is the "Uh-huh" I get when I finally figure it out.

Belen loves reading ... particularly books about food.  Or puppies.  The movies Cinderella and Tangled stop her in her tracks.  In fact, after her nap she will come downstairs, turn on the t.v., put a couple of pillows on the floor, set her teddy one one and lay on the other herself.

She also adores her brother.  One of her favorite games is to actually physically copy everything he does ... hand on head, run in a circle, etc.  Mac thinks it's hilarious, and says, "Mom, Belle just keeps teasing me."

Belen believes she can do anything he does.  Tonight, we were playing baseball out front and she refused to let me help her hit the ball.  Mac swings the bat without help; she can too!  This girl has a will of iron.



But I'll tell you, that iron will of hers can drive me crazy.



Bodie captured that at Jamie's wedding ... and as hideous as it is, it's just so ... my life.

This girl can pitch a fit; instantly transforming into one sour little tart.

She does not like to be held.  Or forced anywhere.



It makes formal picture-taking rough.

And shopping?  My word.  I have to either plan on it taking several hours so she can walk along the cart herself (stopping every now and then to add something) and hide in clothing stands, or strap down a sobbing, vocal little one year old.

That ear-splitting screech is still inside her, and she doesn't hesitate to unleash it on me or Mac.

But if I'm honest ... even on the worst days, once she's in bed ... I can't help but smile at her backbone.  I love it.

In fact, it makes it kinda hard to discipline her some days.

Don't worry, she's already hit the time-out stair multiple times.  I just can't seem to stay mad at her for long.

That beautiful girl just melts me.


No comments:

Post a Comment