It has really taken the fun out of swimming; something we do a lot down here in Southern California.
So, we decided it was time for some swimming lessons. He was excited ... until we got to class.
That boy wrapped his arms and legs around me, white-knuckling my shoulders as I tried to set him on the side of the pool. His sweet teacher Kristin -- bless her HEART -- steeled her face and helped me pry him off.
She listened to that boy sob for two days straight.
But she didn't give up on him; doing the same thing every day created a routine he could trust. That ... plus a little incentive ...
A sticker chart made by himself, where he gets one sticker for each time he puts his face in the water. Mark sweetened the deal by promising him a new glove (just like Mike Trout's) for 20 times in the water, and a new bat for 30.
Wow. That made a difference.
Day three of swim lessons, that boy wouldn't look his teacher in the eye, but he knew what was coming and did everything she asked.
He took off from there; asking me to sign up for a second session even! (He missed two checks on his swimming grade chart ... back float and front swimming. He was quite determined to check those off and move on.)
And after four weeks of swimming every single morning, I can now say I have a swimmer on my hands. That boy leaps off the diving board, surfaces, and swims to the side with almost no help. He is three years old.
| He adores Miss Kristin. I do too. |
He now has everything checked off ("Mom, wook! I got all the checks! It's time for the next level!") and is set for Level 2 next summer.
And in the meantime? We are having a blast swimming together.
And his confidence has even trickled down to Belle ...
She now leaps into the pool just like he does; I just have to be sure and get floaties on her first.





No comments:
Post a Comment