Mac is such a realist.
It kind of drives me crazy.
I mean really, I lived in my own world of mermaids, elves, talking wolves, and princesses. And I loved my childhood. Sometimes I still drift back into that world.
I try to re-create it for Mac.
Me: [Grab a stick, make it fly through the air] "Look out Mac, here comes a Dragon! Where's your sword?"
Mac: [Furrows brows] "Crazy Mom. It's no dragon, just a stick. Crazy Mom."
He loves his hulk hands, and he'll even grab his little toy hammer and spin it in circles like Thor. But it's always like Thor or like the Hulk. He most definitely is not the actual Hulk. He's just "MackyCalister Ramond Gunn, crazy Mom".
Mark scoffs at my concerns for his lack of imagination. "I never played pretend," he tells me, "and when my cousins wanted to, I thought it was lame because it wasn't real."
Can you believe that?
He does admit flipping things around as if he were a ninja turtle however, so he's not a complete loss.
Don't worry, I haven't given up on Mac's ability to pretend. I'm going to continue to try my best to make him see beyond his own world ... but I suppose there is some merit in living in the real one.
He likes to do things right.
Sports, drawing, writing (he can write the letter "s", "o", "i" and a few shapes), singing, riding a bike ... all of these things he works on meticulously till he gets them right. And he loves nothing better than being cheered on as he performs.
So there is a little of me in him after all.
Such a sweet post! I love it. Nicholas is still not quite able to imagine things, although he's slowly getting better at it--I catch little glimpses of him being able to play pretend. Maybe it's just an age thing?
ReplyDeleteI sure hope that my kids will be able to imagine-like you said, my entire childhood was a stream of imagining one thing after another!