Why are we still here?
California was supposed to be our school adventure.
By now I'm supposed to be enjoying the clean mountain air and real seasons, building my kids' relationships with their cousins, and visiting my Mom while the hubby dives into his new business.
But we are not doing any of those things.
However, there are some real benefits to what we are doing.
Mark gets to learn from someone he knows and trusts, and basically do a trial run on bringing in patients and running a business. So when we do finally take off, he'll have a much better idea of what he's doing. And he gets to do all that in the comfort of somewhere we already know well.
I have friends. Good friends. Friends that have forgiven me despite my four month hiatas as I was massively pregnant, packing and unpacking, and then trying to figure out a colicky newborn. Somehow they've decided to still let me hang around.
And so, we will continue going to library for story time. We will continue park days, beach days, and dinner dates. I will keep these wonderful friends for a little while longer, and make new ones as well.
My kids will do the same.
Water balloons and giant snakes help with all that.
I haven't known any blues that a little sunshine won't cure, and California is far from lacking in that area.
Plus we get to watch intense teenage drug busts at the beach (couldn't quite tell what that grassy stuff was in those bottles the cops took).
And we get to hear the finer details of deep sea spear fishing from our Saomoan and Tahitian sister missionaries. Also, how to sing babies to sleep.
We get farmers markets and organic stores galore, not to mention enough Ross', Forever 21s, and Targets to make your head spin.
And if there is a place far away to live, this is it. Here we meet the most awesome people. And here our loved ones visit us.
So I'm going to love these next two years. Every last bit of them.
But I won't lie ... I'm very excited to make a Utah trip in the next couple days.
Loved reading this post. I have hated living in Seattle because there is no sunshine and our families are too far away. I hate it less now, and actually would be okay to settle here, but those mountains and the air and the seasons of Colorado and Utah call to me about every six months. And I have to go for a visit. :)
ReplyDelete