Mark was thrilled to have a yard that we could fill with baseball gear. He did just that, and Mac played outside constantly.
He was in heaven.
One of our neighbor boys is also in love with the sport, and we got them on the same team together.
He actually made some great plays at first base; he usually tried to get one inning there and then would move to the pitchers mound or third base. If he got someone out, he usually followed up with, "You're out, but you can stay there. This is just practice baseball."
Belle loved to be back at the park .... she yelled "Go Mac!" on occasion.
He did really well. Every time he got up to bat, the coaches would alert the kids in the field ... had to be sure nobody was picking grass or rolling in the dirt when Mac was up to bat.
He only ever hit a coach though, so nobody really got hurt.
At the end of the season, the guy who runs the league told us Mac could try out for the next level; the one that includes real outs and base running. I won't lie, my heart was in my throat a little ... I mean, a six year old trying out for a team? That's just ridiculous.
But after that game Mac came up to me and said, "Mom, when do I get to play real baseball?"
So. I guess we'll give it a shot next year.


No comments:
Post a Comment