They are quite possibly one of my favorite things.
My mom used to leave little love notes in my lunchbox as a kid. "Have a good day! =) XOXO" they would always say.
And I have written them since as long as I can remember. I wrote one to my mom and left it on her pillow as a kid, explaining how much I loved dogs and needed one.
Mark and I wrote emails to each other while I was doing a service project in Obregon, Mexico and I have them all printed out in a book. I love them. He and I still leave a love note for each other on occasion ... they are the best.
So, I have forced my family to start a tradition of writing love notes to each other for Valentine's Day. It's been six months, but I've got all the notes crammed in a corner of my desk and I wanted to record them on the blog before I tossed them out.
"Dear Belle, I love when you go downstairs with me! Love, Mac"
"Dear Mac, I love when you play trucks with me. Love, Belle"
"Dear Harrison, I love you cause of little dinosaur. Love, Belle"
"Dear Harrison, I love when you sleep 'cause then Mom gets to do something. Love, Mac"
"Dear Mom, I love that you play with me. I love you so much. Love, Mac"
"Dear Harrison, I love when you are sitting up and try to look at me out of the tops of your eyes. Love, Mom"
"Dear Belle, I love when you sing songs to yourself. You have the most beautiful voice. Love, Mom"
"Dear Belle, I love when you play games with me. Love, Mac"
"Dear Mac, I love to come to your class and see what a good listener you are and how nice you are to all those friends in your class. You are so grown up and so smart! Love, Mom"
"Dear Harrison, I love when you sit and poop and smile at everyone. Love, Dad"
"Dear Harrison, I love when you laugh and smile. Love, Mac"
"Dear Belle, I love to see you swimming and being so brave. I love your sweet kisses. Love, Dad"
"Dear Mac, I love how your eyes get all squinty when you smile so big. It makes my heart happy. Love, Mom"
"Dear Dad, I love when you play baseball and games with me. Love, Mac"
"Dear Mom, I love when you do makeup with me. Love, Belle"
"Dear Harrison, I love when you smile and wiggle when I change your diaper. Love, Mom"
"Dear Dad, I love when you watch t.v. with me. Love, Belle"
"Dear Belle, I love how worried you get about crying babies and puppies. You have a heart of gold! Love, Mom"
"Dear Dad, I love when you let me play your phone. Love, Mac"And then of course there are the ones between Mark and I ... but those ended up being more personal. Hehe.
So they won't make it on the blog.
This 2015 Valentine's was momentous in that it was the first time we ever got to make valentines for a class. I wanted Mac to do as much of the work as he could, so I ran through idea after idea of Valentine's cards, hoping one would spark his interest.
He shot them all down.
My mom even sent me ideas to help me figure out how to get my boy excited. She sent a picture of a sucker with a cape that said something like, "You're super, valentine!" Mac said no. I asked if it would be better if the suckers were baseball players instead of super heroes ....
TA-DAH!
He was in.
That boy cut out heart after heart, and we looked up the numbers of all the players for the Angels and assigned them out to each of his classmates. #27 was of course reserved for Mac himself.
And behold, we assembled an Angels team of classmates.
I think I found my son's love language ... it happens to be very similar to my husband's.
Baseball.
So I guess our family will continue writing love letters and watching ball games ... it has worked wonders so far.
No comments:
Post a Comment