Friday, March 22, 2013

Love In the Air

I received information recently that prompted an emergency Utah trip.

My sister told me she believed she would marry a boy.

GASP.  My first thought was: "Nearly six years of being the only married one in my family!  FINALLY!" Which was quickly followed by a, "Wait ... who IS this guy?"

So naturally, I needed to make the trek the see for myself if this boy would be worthy of my sister.  I am, after all, the firstborn and therefore my blessing is absolutely key.  (Ha.)

We made multiple stops along the way.  Had to snatch up the opportunity to play with cousins and catch up with my sisters-in-law.






At Heidi's we ran through her freshly poured cement, learned about Chinese-language immersion programs popping up in St. George, and attempted to match socks.  With Chris, she whisked my children away to watch construction being done on her road while I took a shower ... and unfortunately I could never find them to snap a picture.  Sigh.  Mac couldn't stop talking about all the front-end loaders and scrapers and excavators and whatnot.  At Danika's we met Nacho the chihuahua, ate the best roast chicken and brussel sprouts in the world, and discussed feminism.

And then with a set of new tires to brave the frozen north, we moved on.

We met up with Katie and her ready-to-come-into-the-world son, and Mac thoroughly enjoyed his girl cousins.  (While asking when Katie's boy would get here.  She wanted to know the same thing.) We hustled off to watch Adam play -- in forty degree weather GASP -- where we met up with more Rachelle and her gaggle of awesome cousins, Zack and Ashlee, and Sam ... Adam's sweetheart.  She is a gem, I'm getting all antsy waiting for Adam to make some kind of move.

As the game ended, I saw several calls from my family waiting up for our arrival, and decided it was time to continue on.

Low and behold, there was this boy:


Who my sister could not stop staring at, smiling at, and touching.


I couldn't stop staring.  I had to soak in the whole this-is-the-man-who-will-be-smoochin'-your-sister-for-the-rest-of-forever thing.  And for a slight moment, I understood why Jamie cried when I told her I was going to marry Mark.  Is anyone good enough for her?  Is anyone worth evolving our little Thomas family for?

But that feeling only lasted a moment, because Michael proved again and again that he was up to the task.  He is kind, hard-working, incredibly intelligent, driven, aware of those around him, present, and verbal.  He is blunt in his kindness; he compliments frequently and in such a way that it feels like he's just saying whatever pops into his head ... and he happens to have a very positive head indeed.

He's a good man.

I guess I'll let him marry my sister.

He proposed the day I left. (My blessing received, obviously the only thing he was waiting for.)  July 20th, people.  Put it in your calendars!


The rest of my time spent in Utah was largely with this fine fellow, one of my top 5 favorites in the universe:


It was his spring break; and so he was at our disposal ... while everyone else smothered us as they could between their busy schedules.

We spent lots of time doing homework.  Mac ended up claiming a "homework" notebook and scribbled in it nightly.  He took it home with us and still scribbles in it from time to time.






It was a good little trip.


And it cemented the fact that I can indeed be a supermom and go wherever I need to go.

Which is to be with family.  And approve of all their life-changing events.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man...it is kind of sad/happy when you find out your little sister is getting married :o) Congrats Jamie! We're so happy for you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually teared up when I saw the close up picture of your two little sweeties. I think it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete