We are a baseball family.
I know that sports aren't the world's most important thing. I mean, I never watch ESPN or could tell you worthwhile about the world's top athletes. I don't do fantasy leagues, I don't even really care who wins. Of course ... that's all me, not speaking for my husband here.
But I love athletics.
Sports can teach people hard work. Goal setting. Confidence. Dedication. They teach you how to use your body and appreciate it. They teach you teamwork. Dealing with people. Frustration. Perseverance. They can show you what it's like to really enjoy something you've had to work for.
Plus, when done right, athletics can bring families together.
Like when Adam plays in California, and family comes to watch.
| I kinda felt cool being surround by gobs of scouts. |
We watched two games. Played at a park in between. Caught plenty of sunshine. Mac tracked down two foul balls, was given a third by a worker, and a fourth from the coach of Uncle Adam's team. Once he discovered where the dugout was, I could not keep him away. He kept running down to tell Adam, "Hurry and rest your arm, so you can be ready to go throw it so super fast!"
And Belle had a blast. Outside, stairs, puppies, and balls. I typically try to keep her off of the stairs, as she has fallen down them so many times. But in this sparsely-populated stadium, there was just no way to do that. She was in heaven. And surprisingly .... didn't even stumble.
I loved being able to talk to these two .... my soon to be neighbors. I cannot wait to finally have familial claim on somebody down here.
| And hello to Susana and Ramon in the back! |
Chris was in heaven with her friends, her family, and the last of the Gunn boys to throw a ball around. We talked about Mark's dad and really felt his love.
They may not have won, Adam may have been a little frustrated ...
But he's gracious about it. Mac seemed giddy around him, a little nervous almost. Like he was in the presence of a star. It is fun to have such a good person and athlete (yes, unfortunately that combo can be a bit difficult to find) for my son to look up to.
We all came home sunburnt and happy. Mark soaked up every detail, poor working thing. Ashlee and I talked up some much-needed girl time. The rest of the weekend was spent hunting down houses for that lovely couple, enjoying a night out child-free -- thank you Chris! -- and coming home to clean houses, happy kids, broth on the stove, and a full freezer.
I love this family.
No comments:
Post a Comment