It seems to be the thought of all our distant relatives. We have had a guest every weekend throughout the month of January.
It is a non-stop party.
Koch Family
It started with a five-day visit from Mark's sister Rachelle and her fabulous family. It was their first time visiting us, and we got to witness their first trip to Disneyland. Memories of note include:
- Apparently, if you have four boys and no sentimental ties to Disneyland, California Adventure is way better. (What?!)
- Boys boys boys boys boys! Mac was in heaven with all the nerf gun fights, light saber fights, sports, and wrestling.
- Belle and Gwen got some legit interaction in. And turns out they're great at sharing necklaces.
- One on one time with Rachelle. I feel like I never get to talk to her, and it makes me sad. She is the sweetest, most kind-hearted gal and I adore her.
- The pukes. Very memorable, very deadly. Specifically to me, Belle, Curtis, and a couple of her boys. But in reality, worth it. If I have to have it coming out of both ends for 24 hours to get that Koch family to FINALLY visit us, I'll do it again and again.
Nana & Bumpa
Next came a brief visit from my parents. Dad had a seminar in L.A. and brought Mom along. Of note:
- They timed it perfectly; Mark and I had planned on going to Let's Make a Deal -- which, by the way, was "the worst day of his life" -- and Mom was able to be there to watch the kids all day. Oh, how it made me want to live closer to them.
- Target, Lucille's Smokehouse BBQ, and Ikea. A day in heaven filled with spoiled kids and a spoiled me.
- Fevers. Mac and Mark developed the worst flu I have ever seen in any of them ever; knocked them both out cold for a solid day. Guess Belle and I still had antibodies on high alert after our bout with stomach flu the week before; we escaped untouched. It came at a busy time, but my mom was here to take care of everyone while I tried to be famous one day and then teach in church the next.
- Watching "Brave" 8,236 times.
- Mac teaching Nana how to play Mario.
Sister Weekend
Then came the aunties for their yearly trip to the Long Beach hair show. I called my lovely sister a couple weeks before the big day and said, "Buy a ticket and fly down here so we can make it a sister's weekend!" And she did. Memories include:
- A trip to watch a taping of "The Doctors". Have you seen it? It actually airs tomorrow, if you read this in time. As drained as I was from trying to win something on "Let's Make a Deal" the week before, I'm glad I went. We walked in and the producers said to our little group, "Are you guys twins?" Nope, just sisters. But they put us in the front behind all the guests of the show. Turns out, the episode was all out multiples.
- Downtown Disney, where we ate stuffed churros, caramel popcorn, and tried to pry Belle away from every stuffed animal/doll we came across. She wanted to hug, kiss, and carry them all.
- Newport Beach in the freezing cold wind ... but dang it, Jamie got to see the ocean!
- "Did you know ..." Everything reminded Jamie of some neat little fact she learned about Joseph Smith and her mission. It is so amazing to hear those stories. I'm trying to figure out a not-awkward way for Jamie to prepare a lesson for us all.
- Updates. On Lori's single life and all her lovely kids. On Ceely and their possible future moves, and particularly on my lovely sister. She's facing some biiiiiiiig decisions these days, and it was so fun to hash it all out with her face to face. Oh I have missed her.
- Having Shea tell me that eating my pickles made her feel she was right back in Nana's kitchen. Oh. My. Goodness. Ultimate compliment, right there.
- Crazies.
- Dented cars.
- Tacos.
- Make-up and Ross.
Benny & Katie
And Gwace and Eva ... oh how we love them. This little family knows the magic of California well, and has made a point to visit regularly. This time, they were here to enjoy Disneyland one last time ... before welcoming their third child into the world. A son! Noteworthy:
- Katie looks just as good growing a man child as she does growing her lovelies -- don't listen to anything she says.
- Eva sleeping under Mac's bed with the Christmas lights on all night.
- Dead cat stories. And really, any story told by Katie.
- Some serious cousin love ... Mac has never cared about ANY girl as much as he cares about these two. They play great together. And of course, Belle adores them. She shared necklaces.
- Babysitting super heroes during my 30 hour labor. Of my doula client. Definitely learned a few things with that one, NEVER going that early again. But thanks to my dear friend Lindy and Ben and Katie, my kids came out unscathed. I came home to Mac laughing and Belle sporting the cutest hair-do ever.
- Cold beaches, lost balls, and big fat burgers.
- Old Cinderella is still alive; she lives at Huntington beach and knows how to tie balloon animals.
- Ben fixing the hot tub single handedly. Oh, and Mark brought a flashlight.
- Passing out and sleeping for 12 hours straight.
- Catching up with all their old friends in our ward on Sunday. They make us feel cool.
- Attempting to make up for my utter lack of hostess-ness by cooking up everything I had planned for the days before.
Well folks, it's been a wild and crazy start to our new year, and we are loving every minute of it.
We're also thinking we need a bigger house.
So let me lysol down our house, and then please, give me a call. Come visit.
No comments:
Post a Comment