Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Weekend of Inspiration

Another trip to Utah.  One of my friends out here says we're never around to even give California a real chance.  I always roll my eyes at her.  But maybe she's on to something ....

This time however, we did St. George.

Mark went all the way up to Provo to talk to that chiropractor we were so excited about, and I elected to forgo extra driving and allow him plenty of pondering time by staying in St. George.  So, so very nice.  Mac and I got alone time with Grandma Gunn (impossible to come by), Aunt Heidi and her clan of fantastic cousins that Mac adores, Aunt Danika and her great little group of cousins, and Aunt Katie along with da Gwace and Eva. 
Mac could not get enough of Grandma.  He wanted her to jump with him, to watch him eat eggs, to play catch with him, to save him from nap time, and to listen to every little thing he sees or thinks about.
 Oh, and puppy Molly.  Mac loves to play catch with her and feed her.  I heard, "Molly!  Come!  Ball," quite a bit.

Katie, Danika and I took off on a few errands and returned home to find Grandma spoon feeding a whole bunch of grandkids outside.  Very precious.  And crazy, I imagine.

Throw-back to Mac's infant days .... I think he'd rather I still bathed him this way.

These two really loved each other.  As long as marbles weren't around.
Uncle Matt played the greatest game with all the kids ... he captured them and threw them in this giant tube.  Very entertaining.

My first attempt at doing fine baby girl hair!  Can't wait for my own little miss....
On Saturday morning all the Gunns who could gathered to watch the incredible St. George marathon.  I loved watching people cross the finish line.  Some hobbled, some sprinted, and one lady sped-walked.  (Speed-walked?  Hm.)  Four of our Gunns ran the 26-mile desert race:  Josh, who was too quick for us to see finish.  Katie (pink shorts ... almost missed her!):
 Dan the man:
 And our 13-year-old niece Taylor!  That girl was bomb.  At 13 I was still complaining about the mile run in P.E.  She man-handled 26 of those in 4 hours and 40-ish minutes, and took first place in her age group.  Woah.


Lia loves to kiss Mac.  Mac then turns to me with a big grin and says, "A kiss!"  Oh, and Baby Sister made it to this picture.  She seems to make herself known all over the place nowadays.

So proud of their Mama, whose legs were on fire.

Surprise!  My Brittney friend ran it too!  Good work Britt!
 The only thing that made this race slightly less than unbelievable was the fact that Matt decided to run the Bear 100 in Logan the week before ... and do the last 3 miles in 21 minutes in order to make it under 30 hours and therefore get a Grizzly Bear belt buckle.  Yes, you heard right.  That man ran for 30 hours straight, through Blacksmith Fork Canyon, to Tony's Grove, and beyond. 

After being thoroughly amazed by the physical feats of Matt, Danika, Katie, and Taylor, we then had the pleasure of listening to General Conference all together.  Mac listened intently to the first speaker (something about those calming voices ... must be the Spirit), and then ran around flipping my hair elastic at people till we put him down for a nap.
 I loved the talk about how we will be held accountable for how we spend our time.  Every minute is a gift, and in the end we will be required to report to the Lord what we have done with each one of them.  A fantastic reminder!  Oh ... and of course I can't forget that precious talk about new fathers to new daughters ... that was a little too perfect and I couldn't help but squeeze Mark's midsection through the whole thing.

What a weekend.  Came away feeling loved and uplifted.  I can be a good person.  I can run like a crazy person.  I can be whatever I want to be.  I think Mac feels similarly.  Ever since coming home he has loved other kids (lately he has seemed to view most of them as threats to his stuff), and has greeted every one with, "Friend," instead of "Mine!"  Going to the park has been even better than ever.

No doubt we are feeling good, regardless of the let-down that the job opportunity in Provo seems to be.  Life is wonderful, and we are soaking it up, exploring our opportunities, and excited for all the big, big changes headed our way. 

Bring it on.

1 comment:

  1. So Kent's new job is in Provo--that would be so crazy/awesome if we both moved there! But what a bummer that the job wasn't quite what you were hoping. I'm sure you'll find something else that is just right!

    I knew you were moving too, but I didn't know you were also moving in December. Are we insane for doing this?? Moving right after having a new baby girl, and with a two-year-old boy?? Sigh. I need to adopt your "bring it on" attitude, because right now I'm just thinking about all the stress. :D

    ReplyDelete