Thursday, August 11, 2011

Never Gonna Ever Get Enough Stuff

Isn't that a song?  A country song, I'm pretty sure.

Describes Mac perfectly. 

Lately he is so incredibly possessive.  Everything is "Mine!" and sharing has been quite a battle for us. 

When he gets out of the tub, he tries to bring all his toys with him.

When he gets out of his crib, he tries to take all his blankets and teddy bears with him.

When he says he's finished eating and I take him out of his high chair, he immediately grabs whatever leftovers he can find to bring with him.

Am I ruining him?  Is he just a typical almost-two-year-old?  Am I going to be able to teach him how to become a kind, sharing, helpful human being?  Some days I feel like pulling my hair out...

Maybe he can tell that I've been trying to get rid of stuff lately.  We'll probably be moving at the end of the year, and with a baby on the way, I've been trying to get a jump start on gutting out our house so that there is less to move.  The other day I pulled out all the stuffed animals we have and held each one in front of him to figure out which ones he actually cared about.

He suddenly cared very much about every single one of them.
And he wanted to carry them all around for the rest of the day.

This newly found possessiveness is making me think that the arrival of Little Sister will be the best and most frustrating thing that has ever happened to him.  I won't lie, I am getting a little nervous for that whole adjustment ... but mostly I am relieved.  Bring on the forced sharing and turn taking!  Mac needs someone else to practice on besides Mommy and Daddy and his poor poor friend Seth.

No comments:

Post a Comment