Four years ago today, I woke up and put on a lot of makeup.
Ceely did my hair, and Brittany came over to film everything.
I put my wedding dress on before I got to the temple. Nobody said you usually do that once your there. Jamie cried when I got in the car with Mom.
We picked up Mark from the Logan house, crammed to the limit with all sorts of Gunns. It was hard to fit Mark in the back of our miniature car dubbed "The Mallow" with my wedding dress. But I just remember laughing a lot.
We sat in the waiting room for a while; they couldn't find our information from our Bishop. After all we had been through, I remember thinking they would literally have to pick us up and toss us out, because I knew we were supposed to be there.
The bride's dressing room looked like something out of Jane Austen's Pemberly from Pride and Prejudice. That's when I realized you were supposed to put your wedding dress on there. I wished I had; only because I wanted to spend more time in that ornate room. Another lady was there waiting for her daughter to come out. She and my mom tried not to cry as they talked about us.
I came out of the dressing room and Mark was waiting at the end of a long, blank hallway. I remember wondering if it was okay to run in the temple.
We waited in a side room while they filled our sealing room with family and friends. I asked Mark why he was marrying me. He said I had great legs, among other things.
I wish I could remember what the sealer said. I can't. I remember I liked holding Mark's hand. I remember feeling like we fit very well. I remember Aunt Lori's black and white dress; she was sitting across from me. I remember seeing a few people cry, but I only remember feeling like I wanted to jump up and down.
I remember kissing Mark over the alter, and being conscious of everyone watching us, because I knew he was. I remember being excited to kiss him without everyone there.
When we came out of the temple, countless new nieces and nephews ran right at us and bounced off my dress. I loved that. They thought I was a princess. Mark was adorable with them. Very Prince Charming-ish. I felt very glad I married him.
Grandpa Johnson came out of nowhere and hugged me. I couldn't believe he was there; he hadn't been to Utah in years ... maybe since Jake was born. I wish I had had more time to talk to him.
Pictures were random and hurried. I could tell Mark was tired of them. I still thought it was fun. Jamie came everywhere with us and arranged my train and helped with my flowers. She was still teary-eyed.
At the luncheon, Mark tried to run away from me when everyone started clinking their glasses. I grabbed him and layed one on him. I decided that every once in a while throughout our eternity, I would force him to do things he thought were awkward. I felt like he needed me.
Our reception was green and beautiful. Kids were running around everywhere. I loved it. Taylor and Natalie colored in the little coloring books I made for the nieces and nephews.
By the end of our reception, I thought my face might fall off from smiling so much at all the wonderful people who came to wish us well. I remember looking at Mark and realizing I hadn't said much of anything substantial to him all day, besides our little talk in the temple. I was glad we were leaving on a honeymoon immediately and would have a whole week to ourselves.
Mark had to talk to a lot of people he did not know, a lot of which told him he'd better take care of me, or else. He did a great job.
I had never wanted a line to begin with. Just a party. It formed anyway. Oooh us Utah Mormons are sure stuck in our ways. After it disappeared, Mark went to test out the chocolate fountain. The keeper of the fountain, dubbed the "Chocolate Nazi", told him he couldn't have any or he would spill on his tux. When she wasn't looking, he took some. It spilled on his tux.
As we drove away from our reception on the scooter, Nickole and Tiera followed us and took pictures. I hoped they wouldn't follow us all the way to our apartment. They didn't.
Josh got the "most awkward brother" award for the day as he had to pick us up from our apartment and take us to our car, which was still at Von's Park. He was supposed to bring the whole car, but instead just brought the keys. It was a funny drive. I tried not to laugh. Mark and Josh were both silent.
Mark told me I was "very pretty", and he started that statement with a "wow".
Today, four years later, I woke up to Mark kissing my forehead and saying good bye as he left for his morning shift at the school gym. I promptly went back to sleep.
Mac and I both slept in; when we woke up Mark was already coming home. Mac jumped up and down when he saw Mark walk in his room.
I made Mac some eggs; Mark made Mac some oatmeal and yogurt. We watched Mickey Mouse clubhouse.
We toured Birth Centers and talked about childbirth, doctors, and the body's abilities to do things itself. Mac talked about snacks, water, and elmo.
Mac tried to jump in a fountain, I told Mark to grab him. Mark just watched Mac and said, "You're going to put your mother into labor."
We ate at JoJo's Pizza .... something I've been craving for months. Mark said he couldn't be any happier. I felt that way too. Mac got a sticky thing from the 25 cent machine. He ran around and flipped it, yelling "Circles!" and "Got you!" I think he was happy too.
And now my boys are sleeping, and little miss is wriggling around inside of me. It seems like we just got married, and yet it's hard to remember some of the details of life before my own little family. I remember having some big adventures planned (including being a princess at Disneyland and studying abroad) before I met Mark. It seemed like anyone could have a family, but I wanted to do something unique.
A handsome man in an Olive Garden uniform made me decide I would rather do all those adventurous things with him, or not at all. And you know what? There's a reason why most people try to have families. There's a depth, a trueness, a happiness, and a completeness here that just can't be found anywhere else.
And with a family, the adventures do not stop, and are all the sweeter for having THE someones of your life to do them with. I have loved my adventures so far, and can't wait to see what the rest of forever brings.







Very well written:) Happy 4th!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Danika. That was a very cute post and of course made me cry. Congratulations!!!
ReplyDeleteCute post! I felt like I was at your wedding for a minute.
ReplyDeleteOh allie, I just love you and your cute little family! ; ) Congratulations on 4 years!! I agree...nothing quite like having our very own families!!
ReplyDeleteOh, you dear. I love how you put words together. What a wonderful life! Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDelete