Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Summer of Softball

Our first two years of marriage, Mark and I played on 2-3 co-ed slow pitch softball teams each summer.  It was so very fun, especially as Mark was typically one of the team's MVPs and I could beam and say, "Yep, that's my man."  I remember playing first base a few games and Mark playing short stop.  Oooo the magic.  We also played in the outfield together a few times. 

I quite enjoyed that time of life.

Well, since we moved to Cali, I have been pregnant or with a baby, and so have not been able to participate in sports like I used to.  However, Mark is going strong.  He plays church softball and is currently in his second season of city league softball. 

And actually, I like going to the games.  I like watching Mark dominate (and I feel for him when he doesn't ... and for myself.  Usually a poorly played game results in a frustrated, silent Mark).  He has thrown out a respectable number of people from center field.  He also nearly took a teammate's head off throwing to home.  This poor fellow got in the way, and from my angle, it looked like the ball beaned him in the head and he started to wobble on his feet and had to sit out.  Later we learned that the ball hit the brim of his hat head-on, and knocked it back.  It actually scratched his forhead up quite a bit, and he sported some scabs for a while.  Geez, Mark.  I've also heard a few guys complaining about catching Mark's throws; it hurts their hands.  Mark has inspired a couple of man crushes, I think. 

(Too much bragging?  Apologies ... Mark will certainly roll his eyes at me a few times when he reads this.  But it's all true, not a bit of exaggeration here.)

I love talking to the other friends/girlfriends/wives.  A few of them have kids.  I've made a couple good friends on that bleacher.

Mac loves the games.  Dirt to throw, sticks to draw and hit things with, a game to watch and yell at (most commonly, "Go! Go! Go!", "Hit it!", and "Made it, yaaaay!"), people to woo, dogs to pet, bugs to inspect, lights to point at, and a plastic bat and ball of his own to push around. 

One night they were supposed to play a double header, but one game was cancelled, and after sitting on the field for 15-20 minutes with no sign of the opposing team, we decided the second game was a no-go as well.  Mark was disappointed, but trust Janae Holland to save the day!  She got some of the ladies out on the field with the guys and we all hit the ball around.  I played the pregnancy card and wasted on those worried boys.  One was coming to tag me as I ran to third and I said, "Not the stomach!" so he went for my legs and I jumped over him.  Mark played first base with Mac in one arm.  Mac loved that. 

Softball nights are good nights for our little family.


One of these days I'll play slow-pitch again, but for now, I am content to cheer for my man and schmooze with my boy.

2 comments:

  1. I love softball summers! Marc and I have been playing on a co-ed team since we have been married and it's so fun. I'm glad to see that other people enjoy it, too! (not that you wouldn't, both Mark and you are pro)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it:) oh and I LOVE the picture at the head of your blog.

    ReplyDelete