Sunday, July 10, 2011

Prepping to Certify

I have done it! 

I just attended my last birth to certify as a legitimate doula.  If you are wondering what a doula is, please go here and look on the side bar for my posts regarding doula info. 

All I need to do now is finish reading a couple books, send in all my notes and paperwork, and I am set.  Such a good feeling.  It all happened just in time too, because as my belly expands, people's faith in my abilities seems to diminish.  I'm sensing a real slow-down coming up here.  Once my belly flattens, I will have a brand new baby girl in its place.  I'm quite sure I'll need some time before I can be ready to put myself at someone's beck and call 24/7 for the 4 weeks surrounding their due date. 

So then what will the future hold?  How will I use this, how far can I take it?  If we move back to Utah, will anyone even want a doula?  Nobody around there seems to know about them.  I have no idea how often I will be able to use this new skill I have in my possession, but I am certainly glad I have it.  It is incredibly helpful for me regarding my own children, and even if I never attend another birth, I know that I have really made a difference for those brand new families I have worked for up to this point.

It is just such an honor to be able to help out during such a life-changing moment.  To see a couple work so hard together for something they care so deeply about; to watch the tears, the anger, the helplessness, the triumph, and the awe when they finally meet that little person ... there is just nothing like it.  It's the next stage of their love story, and heaven knows I love a good love story.  Cupid does some great things, but this doula business definitely feels like I am one-upping him. 

I really do hope that I'll be able to continue working as a doula throughout my life from time to time, but it isn't the number one priority for me right now.  The plan is to moderately advertise myself, help whoever needs it, and one day when my kids are older and I have the time, I'd like to volunteer at hospitals or birth centers for people who can't afford the care they'd like.

Who knows what I'll do with it.  Maybe I'll become a nurse.  Maybe I'll become an instructor.  Maybe I'll still teach high school and then do this on the side.  Maybe I'll only ever use it again for my own babies. Regardless, I'm sure glad I have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment