Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas in Panguitch

The Gunn family owns a little house in Panguitch.  It is ideal.  It is right in a tiny town with one stop light on main and center (which is actually just a blinking red light).  It is right between Panguitch Lake, Bryce Canyon, Paunsagaunt, Otter Creek, and probably 32 other little natural wonders. 

I've been hearing stories about Panguitch since before I came into the family, but have only ever spent the night once, and we got there late and left early.  So I was excited.

Mark was more excited.  Panguitch is a place that defined some big parts of his childhood, and he was itching to go and show Mac the ropes.  I really loved to hear the memories that surfaced.  They included being woken up at four in the morning, late night sleepovers, moving pipe, fishing, hunting, hiking, swimming, and standing on a hitch to keep it from coming apart on an hour-long drive.  I especially like to hear when Mark talks about his dad.  It makes me more and more excited to meet him someday.

Most of Mark's memories involved some type of chore or work, and this trip to Panguitch was no different.  There was quite a bit to be done!  Chris had added on a huge bunk room, laundry room, master bedroom, and two new bathrooms.  We had quite a few projects to do to get the place ready for the others who would be coming Christmas Eve.
Mark put together these four bunk beds with Danika and I rotating in to help between taking care of the kiddos.

Mark's fingers were numb for two days afterwards.
 Finally finally, Christmas Eve came and we were ready.  In spite of missing bunk bed pieces, missing mattresses, and a plumbing system that kicked all sorts of toilet goodies out into the driveway, Christmas came just the same.

And we ventured out into the wild to get a Christmas tree.


Naturally we had a snowball fight.



Our first wild tree-cutting experience! 

I have always felt that there is something cool about people bringing in trees on the roof of their car.  I don't know, it's just so ... more Christmas-y-ish.

The finished product.
 We were able to spend some quality time with the kids as well, which was nice as we had been shoving them at the t.v.s while we were trying to get things done.

 Then the kids were tucked snuggly in bed, and the adults watched Christmas Story and made all the last minute preparations for Santa to come.  Every year I am surprised by how hilarious that show really is.
 Christmas morning with the Gunn family entails lining up all the little ones in the hall.  The adults go in first and turn off all the lights.  Then they are allowed to come in slowly and the lights are flipped on ... tah-dah!
 
Did he come? 

 
Santa found us, even in Panguitch!



Gerbils for Christmas?  Sorry Mac, those are not yours.
 
Stocking stuffers and Beatles hair ... doesn't get any more magical than that.

 
Apparently it was too early for sharing toys.



Love this picture ... Gracie knows just what to do with Woody!









This is quite possibly Mark's favorite present.  I don't think he has taken it off yet ... it's probably about time I washed it. 

Our other gifts included gift cards (my favorite), a video camera, a frozen yogurt maker, a portable DVD player, and easel and paint so I can finish my painting in our room ... grilling tools, kitchen necessities, lots of very important Disney movies, TNMT, money, and several other wonderful things.

We got absolutely everything we wanted this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment