Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas in Downtown LA

We decided we did not get wet enough the night before, so we went for more on Saturday. 

This time, we went to LA.

This is a big deal.  LA traffic is the worst thing on this entire planet, and we avoid it at all costs.  But add a whole lot of rain and people who aren't used to driving in it ... I'm not going to lie, I was seriously doubting the wisdom of this trip.

But we had to do it.  I just didn't know if I could go through another Christmas without seeing temple lights.  What Utahn didn't grow up seeing the Temple Square lights at some point during the month of December? 

We started off at the LA Temple Visitor's Center, where we watched Tony Mandino and the Messangers give a small, free Christmas Concert.  It was only awkward a couple of times, over all it was quite nice.  It also made me think that my sister could most definitely pursue a career in vocal performance if she wanted to.



This kid was quite loud.  And we happened to sit right behind the performers' cameraman.  Oops.  They are going to have a whole lot of grunts, laughing, clapping, "no no no", and squealing on their recording.  Sorry.

Greatest statue ever.  Gives me the chills every time.



Mac finally figured out, after 28 times of putting his hood back on, that having something on your head actually helps keep you warm.  Whew.  Glad we got that figured out.




We are wet.
 We then went and got dinner, which was really just a side note compared to dessert.  Have you ever heard of Diddy Reese?  My word ... if you're ever in LA you must go there.  I promise I am not just being dramatic.  They bake cookies in front of you, you pick between ten different flavors (or mix and match), choose between twelve different kinds of ice cream, and they whip you out an ice cream sandwich right before your eyes.  And it costs a dollar fifty.  Best place ever.

We then decided to top off our soaked evening with a walk around Santa Monica pier.  Mark and I had never been.  We had the place to ourselves, which was nice, but it was pouring buckets of rain on us at that point, and I was too scared  to take out my camera.

So we pulled into an arcade and snapped a couple there.

After deciding it was impossible to dry off/warm up, we squeezed past a man who apparently lives in the arcade (very bearded, grungy, carrying a sack and blanket, and fiercely conquoring every game he came to), we made it back to the car where we stripped Mac down, were temped to strip off our own soaked layers -- but didn't -- and somehow, Taylor got us safely home.

It was a wonderful weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment