Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Hero Reflexes

Yesterday a pretty good wreck happened right in front of me.  I was stopped at the intersection, and one old lady turned right into another old lady, sending the car spinning into the van next to me.  The van moved toward me a bit, but didn't hit me.

It all happened in a split second, and all I did was stare.  I stared at the smashed glass in front of me.  I stared at the smoke coming out of the cars.  I stared at the woman hunched over the steering wheel.

Luckily someone behind me had a better reaction to it and ran out to check on the lady, calling 911.  I stared at her for a while.  Then I stared at Mac for a while. 

Then I decided I could help.

I got out of my car and tiptoed my way over the woman, who had regained consciousness, but was having trouble breathing.  I talked to her for a while, and the three of us waited for the paramedics.  It didn't take long for cops to come pouring in from all directions, followed by the ambulance.  I felt quite guilty for all the times those sirens had whizzed by my house while Mac was napping and I thought venomous thoughts. They rushed in calm as could be, talked to her, checked her pulse, held her head, and I returned to my staring.  The paramedics also pulled out a woman in the car next to me, her arm in a sling.  I kept staring till the woman I had attempted to help started mumbling for her purse, which I had seen in the passenger seat.  I tip-toed around the smoking car and wrenched open the side door as far as it would go ... which wasn't far.  But I weasled my way in and brought it around to her.  

Then cops asked me and the hero-lady for details; color of the lights, how fast were they going, who came from which direction, etc.  I was surprised at how much I could not remember.

In the midst of all this remembering I head someone shouting, asking if Mac was alright.  It was James, a friend from Mark's class.  Then a friend from church, Janae, was jumping out of her car and asking if she should take Mac if I needed to go with the police.  The officer raised both hands and said, "Everyone, Allie and the baby are fine!  She is just a witness!"  It was a little funny, but also quite sobering.

There are a lot of heroes out there.  I don't think my immediate response is to be one of them.  The woman who had initially run out to help and called 911 was three cars behind me.  When I realized that, I thought, "I was the closest to all this.  That should've been me out helping."  But I just figured someone else would take care of it.  It reminded me of when there was an earthquake a few months ago, and I just sat there in bed.  Luckily Mark has hero reflexes and checked on everyone, but I didn't move a muscle.  It also reminded me of a horrible story on the news ... a man had been stabbed and was lying on the sidewalk.  He lay there for 2 hours.  People walked over him, completely ignored him.  He bled to death.

I worry I might have been one of the people to walk over him, my first reaction always that someone else would handle it.  Good grief.  I'm sure after I stared at him enough I would've decided to help, but he probably would've already been gone.

How do you develop hero reflexes? 

No comments:

Post a Comment