Thursday, September 16, 2010

Doula

If you're like me (up until about a year ago) you are wondering what in the world a doula is.  Well this website will give you all the in-depth information you need, but here is my summary:  A doula is a woman who is there for the woman during pregnancy, labor, and the first couple weeks after the birth.  She is there to educate the mother while pregnant, coach her through labor, and get the hang of having a new little one around.  She does NOT replace a doctor or midwife -- or husband -- she is only there to help the mother figure out what she wants/needs. 

I think I might become one.

Mark sent me an email with all this information.  His school is hosting a doula to come and teach a short weekend course on the basics, and then afterwards you are encouraged to start trying to get a little experience and given the rest of the steps to certify.  I'm thinking I might have to take this opportunity.  Mark said (mostly joking), "This seemed right up your ally.  Your always trying to help your friends out with life, so you might as well get paid for it, right?"  Don't think I could ever charge my friends, but he's got a point.  It's something I would really enjoy, and it's something that will be completely my own; I can do as much or little as I want.

I would have loved to have a doula around when I had Mac.  The nurses were basically non-existent in the hospital, and I had no idea what in the world I was doing.  Mark was wonderful, but he was just as inexperienced as I was.  It would have been SO nice to have someone there to help reassure me, and communicate my desires to the hospital staff.  I just really love the idea of having someone not quite as emotionally invested to be involved in the process.  Someone who understands hospital routines, doctors and their tendencies, nurses, and then on the other hand knows full well what the couple had in mind when welcoming their child to the world.

I know that there are so many people who have fabulous hospital experiences, but mine was not.  I would like to help people make that experience whatever they want it to be.

My biggest fear is that it could be like the Mary Kay of  the pregnancy world.  No offense to all you consultants out there, but I can't really stand Mary Kay.  I just can't handle the whole I'll-be-your-friend-if-you-periodically-buy-things-from-me atmosphere that always seems to hang around.  BUT I do know that with a business of your own, it will be whatever you make it to be.  I will just not let it be that.  (And I do know several consultants who don't let it be that either.)

So, wish me luck.

5 comments:

  1. that's sooo cool! you'd be good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just went back and read your labor story--talk about rough! I feel like we got really lucky with the nurse we had for Nicholas. She was PERFECT. So sweet, helpful, encouraging, she helped me figure out how to push correctly, coached me through it, and then as Nicholas was actually being born she took over my camera so that Kent could be in all of those first-moment pictures.
    The more I think about it the more I realize that your experience is more the norm than mine. Sad.
    So kudos to you! I think you'll be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alie I think it would be amazing to become a doula. I would for sure take that oportunity if I was in your shoes. I didn't have a horrible hospital experience, but it wasn't what I wanted. I wish I had a doula there to help me be more assertive in telling the staff my desires and just to help me in general. I think there should be more of them around. I think you'll be great. Good Luck and keep us posted on how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would LOVE to do that too. I'm excited for you- you'll be great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You would be so great at that, Al!! I had a pretty good experience with the hospital I was in (considering everything) but I would have loved having a doula there to comfort me and more importantly, to teach my husband how to comfort me. Shane's admitted that he felt helpless and didn't know what to do during those long hours of labor.

    ReplyDelete