Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Finishing

I have trouble finishing things lately.  I am the type of person who becomes ridiculously excited about something, obsesses over it, and thinks/does it to death until I just can't take it any more, and then I move on to something else.  When younger, my attention span left plenty of "projects" undone.  I would generally get excited about something else too quickly.  My lovely sister Rachel seems to be going through the same thing right now.  (Rach I'm telling you, finish the Hunger Games!  You will like it!)

As I got older, I figured out that if I kept at it throughout the entire day without stopping, I could finish something.  Books, drawings/paintings, letters, etc. . . I was pumping them out like mad.

I got quite good at it.

But now, suddenly, I can't seem to focus.  It seems there is a certain something ... or someone ... preventing my finishing of anything.  (Except dinner, that is the one project that seems to ever come together.)  It gets to be a little frustrating sometimes.  There is an enormous half-done painting above me right now of Mark and Mac at the beach.  I can't seem to find a big enough chunk of time to work on it.  I've started writing several different things as well.  There is a bag of clothes in the closet that need holes patched up.  I have two partially-finished letters downstairs right now.  Goll, I think there's even some laundry in the dryer still .....

I have regressed to the big dreamer/crappy do-er that I ever have been.

But --

I read to Mac.

We have scribbled on many pieces of paper together.

We are very good at singing "Popcorn", "Ooey Gooey", and "Gladys".

Mark rarely comes home from all his hard work without a meal.

I suppose then, there are just "seasons" in life where some things are more important to be finished than others.  I remember my mother-in-law telling me a couple years ago that her way of working on things was to just keep chipping away here and there.  At the time I thought that sounded like an annoying way to do things ... how could you remember what you were so excited about, or where you were at in the process?  And yet that's exactly what I find myself attempting to do now.

I'm not very good at it.  I still find myself starting a lot more projects than I do finishing.  But this will change.  Soon I will post a picture of my picture, and I will feel a little more accomplished. 

3 comments:

  1. That sounds EXACTLY like me! I have a different idea every week (or day?) and I get obsessed. It's just hard to do anything when Kellyn is trying to chew on part of it. Oh well...luckily they are so cute they are worth sacrificing our big ideas for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes, yes! I feel the same way. I have unfinished (or just barely started) sewing projects from months ago. I have been meaning to take down the nasty wallpaper border in my bathroom since the day we moved in (1 yr ago). I have so many ideas of things I would LOVE to do and create, but yet none of them get done.
    My little boy is my life right now.
    It's all about seasons. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone...it really is about the seasons. I couldn't be more happy to be where I am: enjoying life as a wife and mother with many unfinished projects.

    ReplyDelete