Monday, September 29, 2014

Weddin' Time

Only one family wedding for us to attend this year!

But it was a doozy.

My Grandpa Johnson got married ... to Geneva Willis, his next door neighbor; a lady so close to my mom that we have called her Aunt Neenee my entire life.


She was like another mother to my mama; providing a place to go to after school, dating advice, and experimenting with different bras.  She is the epitome of a good Southern woman; long drawl, classy taste (even her swearing feels classy), gigantic heart, and quite opinionated.

She takes the credit for my mom and dad getting together.  "I knew your mama needed a good little Mormon boy, and when I met that Brad I just knew he was the one."  My dad's first Physical Therapist job was at the same hospital Neenee was a head nurse at ... and also where my mom was just beginning her own nursing career.  Neenee "introduced" them, though they had already met at church.

But after my mother had told my dad to get lost, only to miss him like crazy a month later, Aunt Neenee was the one to dial my dad's number, put the phone in her hand and say, "Now Eileen, you talk to that boy this instant."  They went out again, got engaged a month later, and the rest is history.

So, we love Aunt Neenee.

Loved her enough to pack my crazy kids in the car and drive the 12+ hours out to the wedding.  On the way there, my aunt's car broke down, my parent's car broke down, I took a wrong road and added an hour onto the trip, and Belle puked about 10 times.  I later discovered a couple of sores on her feet; she had hand, foot and mouth disease.  Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Still, I'm glad we went.


Neenee with a few of her new granddaughters.  There's plenty more.

Jakie and Belle tearing up the dance floor.

Michael and Jamie, our lovey little love birds.

The best thing about Neenee?  She loves my Grandpa.  A lot.

And that makes him a happier, more loving man himself.

They even said they're coming to visit!  I might have a house to keep them in .....

No comments:

Post a Comment