The Winter Olympic were a lot of fun to watch his year. Mac and I prepped by making a banner of flags from all the participating countries.
He was thrilled.
We were about to witness the bestest, fastest, strongest people from all the countries come together to compete in their favorite sports ... what a treat. Flags, medals, songs, races .... and plenty of timers and countdowns.
I was particularly interested in seeing how the Olympics would go; what with the book we had just read in book club about the Romanov family and the lady who had lived there on and off for years. Plus my newest brother-in-law had taught English and later served his LDS mission there; Russia is incredibly interesting to me. It feels like a massive, old, not quite third-world but definitely not first-world type of a country. I had heard a lot about the preparations that went into building a town capable of housing the world's top athletes for weeks ... it was quite a feat, considering there was nothing but a few homes and a one-way street to begin with.
There were a few hiccups, and it was incredibly obvious that the hotels had been thrown together last minute. But I liked what the gal in my ward said about it, "What they were able to accomplish, with what they had to work with ... the Russian people should be proud of their homeland."
I hope they are!
My little family sure liked watching them. Mac had questions about every sport and every athlete. We loved cheering for the Utahns in there. (Since I moved to Salt Lake, its been crazy to see that training for the Olympics is completely attainable and almost - but not quite - commonplace out here.)
I love the Olympics for the honor it gives to dedicated athletes and their dedicated families. The persistence, the determination ... and even plenty of examples of compassion and camaraderie!
Can't wait for two years; bring on the Summer Olympics!

No comments:
Post a Comment