And I never had the opportunity to get to know my biological grandmas at all.
So ... my new ward out here has a book club headed and attended by grandmas. Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Yes. I've been thrilled to attend.
A couple of them work at the library and are on the board to select books for Salt Lake County's top picks. The rest are incredible cooks (we get treats every time), hilarious story tellers, well-traveled, well-studied, and all are incredibly loving.
They pat my hand and tell me I'm precious while they recount their lives as they relate to the books.
I happen to love historical fiction, and both of the historical books we've read have had personal meaning to at least one of the ladies. It is so fun to listen to them talk about World War II, especially the German gal who remembers the "tall, handsome Americans" who "saved" Germany, as she put it.
It makes me feel like I have a lot of good thing ahead of me.
And it reminds me that this stage, this stay-at-home-all-day-with-crazy-little-kids part of my life is just a moment in the vast sea of moments that will make me who I am. I don't want to miss it; building a foundation for our future is kind of a big deal. If our little family can thrive during this often-menial part of our lives, we'll be set up to not only weather, but enjoy the long, wild ride ahead of us.
I love the perspective I gain from being with these experienced ladies.
And I love that they pat my hand and call me precious.
| Our most recent book; so fun to read while the Olympics were going on. Russia is interesting; particularly when you get to listen to ladies talk about it who have lived there for years. |
No comments:
Post a Comment