Sunday, April 6, 2014

Valentine's 2014

Another year, another day to celebrate love.

(One of my favorite things.)

Mark watched the kids the day before while I ran some last-minute errands.  Those included ingredients for a romantic family meal, candy hearts, chocolate ... and decorating Mark's office.

I wish I would've taken a picture ... it's fun to make his office all festive.  I feel like it makes the place feel more community-oriented; a family gathering place.  But of course, we gotta keep it professional ... I'm still working on the balance.

Still, we made thank-yous for Mark's employees and left them with chocolate.  (That ought to inspire them to work super hard, be super awesome, and make everyone want to tell all their friends ... right?)

And then I did a little deep car cleaning for my sweetheart.

And I thought a lot about how I've gotten lazy at doing specific little things to help HIM and no one else.  Not the kids, not our family in general ... but I need to be better at regularly finding little things that make HIS day easier.  Props to Valentine's for the reminder!

Finally, the big day came.  We had toast in the shape of a heart and eggs, completely with chocolate and silly string fights.



We read each other's love notes.  Some favorites include:

  •  "Belle, I love when you play baseball with me.  Love, Mac"
  • "Dad, I love when you let me stay up late and finish watching basketball games. Love, Mac"
  • "Belle, I love your hugs and kisses.  Love, Dad"
  • "Mac, I love how excited you get to do things together as a family.  You make everything so fun! Love, Mom"
  • "Dad, I love when you help me put on princess dresses. Love, Belle"
  • "Mac, I love the silly names you make up.  You are so funny.  Love, Dad"
  • "Belle, I love it when you are so nice to other kids, even if they are acting grumpy.  Love, Mom"
  • "Mom, I love to wrestle you. Love, Mac"
  • "Mom, I love when you let me 'do it'.  Love, Belle"
  • "Mac, I love playing sports and watching baseball and basketball with you.  Love, Dad"
  • "Mac, I love when you are so nice to your sister and your family.  Love, Dad"
  • "Belle, I love your strong will and independence.  I love you.  Love, Dad"
  • "Mac, I love when you help me get out of bed.  Love, Belle"
  • "Mac, I love your big smart brains.  I love to hear you figure out adding and subtracting.  Love, Mom"
  • "Mac, I love when you share your bowling pins with me.  Love, Belle"
  • "Dad, I love when you throw me in the air.  Love, Belle"
  • "Belle, I love it when you give me hugs and pat my back.  Love, Mom"
  • "Belle, You are so cute.  I love when you copy me.  Love, Mac"



Compliments go a long way.  It is so fun to sit and think of specific little things that I love about each of my family members (didn't copy down the ones I wrote for my sweetheart .... his eyes only!), and then to see my kids reactions as we read them?  Priceless!  Mac giggles and claps at each one, whether or not it's for him.

Compliments rock.  I wish they flowed out of me verbally more often.

I'll work on it!

For lunch we prettied ourselves up to go out to eat with the greatest guy ever.


And Mark and I vowed to do a Valentines lunch without kids next year.  (They were nuts.)

We topped off the day with a candlelit dinner for four, and eventually ... got a bit of alone time.

Love is the greatest.

No comments:

Post a Comment