Mark opened the curtains, said, "What the crap," and decided Mac needed an initiation into his first official winter:
But of course, weather is always changing in Utah (I had forgotten about the spastic spring/fall patterns), and the snow left quickly.
The kids and I soaked up what was left of fall-time at our regional park of an apartment complex.
The apartments themselves may be basic and old, but the grounds are gorgeous. Ducks live there year round, and our place is located right next to the sand volleyball pit ... so my kids can pretend they're still visiting the beach.
We also began to explore the community more; finding favorite grocery stores and parks was, of course, top of the list.
Once that was established? Mac got his first library card.
| Bruce the Shark approves. |
While the kids and I made ourselves a home, Mark dove into his office. He peeled himself away when he could, and we went to family dinners, met cousins at Chuck E Cheese, and even snuck in our first hike. (So needed!)
But besides that, either he or I was at The Works Chiropractic before, during, and after office hours taking things down, cleaning things up, and putting them together.
Before we knew it, Thanksgiving had hit.
This holiday was special this year; we were truly made to sit and think about what we were grateful for; what really mattered most.
Family.
See, my Grandma died.
Mom's step-mom; who raised her.
Her funeral was planned for Saturday, two days after Thanksgiving. So we drove up to Logan to have dinner with my family and my mom's sister's family, and then got right back in the car to make our way to St. George.
Bless my parents' hearts for making it all happen!
| Look at these beautiful ladies. LOVE you, Mama, Jamie, and Belle! |
| Trent the Magnificent was not allowed to sit with the adults. Per these kids. |
Oh, but we were sure to do a quick model shoot for the two lovely 13-year-olds in the family. It was super fun.
Then we were off.
I had agonized over whether or not to bring Mark and the kids ... I felt like Grandma would've liked it, but they didn't even know her. The deciding factor ended up being the knowledge that we would be driving 5+ hours every single day of that 4 day weekend.
So.
Mark and the kids stayed in St. George with his mom, while my nuclear family schmooshed in the car and drove to Tempe, Arizona.
Oh, the flashbacks!
Back in the olden days, I was the biggest and therefore got the seat with the most room. Now? I'm certainly the shortest, and therefore earned the spot right in between my two 6+ foot brothers.
But really, it was fun. Hilarious, even. I love my family and am so glad we all get along so well.
And so, we made it to the funeral and said our good byes to Grandma Johnson.
| Dad and Uncle Brad -- the two religiously-inclined members of the family -- put the ceremony together. |
| The other great-grand-baby Niklas. He's hilarious! |
| I loved the open mic part; it's always so fun to hear little details about a person's life; especially someone you've known for years but don't know well at all. I loved piecing together her life. |
| One man from each family (the Seven Tribes of Beverly, as Uncle Brad called it), carried her casket to it's resting place. |
| Mama and Auntie Jenny each threw in a rose as they lowered her casket. |
| We each got to say our goodbyes. |
Grandma Johnson was a powerful matriarch who loved her family. I don't know if she ever really forgave my dad for taking Mom away from Arizona ... but she loved each one of us and made sure we knew it each time we visited her. She was always full of advice and stories, and as a kid I remember her most for her swim-test (which was agonizingly difficult for me) and her orange trees.
But I must say my favorite has been growing up and getting to know her as a human being. I was able to talk to her over the phone in depth about my mom; she helped me write quite a bit in my mom's "50 Years of Memories" book. And the last time I visited, I was able to bring my kids. She fawned over them. And over me.
I felt like she was proud of me.
And I know that she loves me.
Thanks you, thank you Grandma Johnson for marrying a man with three little kids (one only two weeks old), and doing your very best to raise them as one whole family.
We ended her funeral with a party; Mom contacted the local Relief Society from the LDS church and they were more than happy to feed our large family.
| LOVE THIS GUY. |
| And these guys. |
| Cousin Bonnie, Aunt Marcia, Grandpa |
| Uncle Brad is always entertaining crowds. |
| Aunt Rikki, Aunt Elaine, Uncle Chuck, ?, cousin Josh, Aunt Sue |
| Cousin Jeff, Uncle Bill, Aunt Helen, cousin Shaneen, her main squeeze, cousin Jeff, cousin Anteree |
| Aunt Neenee and Richard! Celebrity status. Neenee was my mom's other mom next door. |
| Aunt Jen and Uncle Mike; my mom's two full-blooded siblings. (KICKING myself for not getting a picture of all three of them!) |
| Al and Little Al, as Trent is called when we get together with this side of the family. |
We sure love you Grandpa, can't wait for you to come visit.


No comments:
Post a Comment