Monday, July 5, 2010

Happy Birthday America

In California they celebrate the fourth on the fourth, no matter what day of the week it happens to fall on. 

Weird, right?

I thought for sure the whole world shut down on Sundays.

Well, the good Shaw family was kind enough to set us up with some tickets to the local high school's fire works show, including VIP food passes.

We got to walk past a very large man in dark sunglasses who gave us a slick nod as we nervously walked passed the fence.  We saw the local politicians, a nice man from Wal-Mart, and most importantly, the family whose house had just been re-done by Clean House.

Mac and I received some sweet tats in honor of the day.  Mark has had his fill of tats I guess.  (Mine says "City of La Habra".  Sweeeet.)

The Shaws also provided great company, blankets, a lively game of Catch Phrase, and prime seating at the fireworks.

I worried Mark and I would spend the evening clamping Mac's ears shut and attempting to sway, cuddle, ooo, and ah, but I was completely wrong.  It was late, Mac began to be tired and fussy, but once the popping and flashing lights filled the sky, he froze.  He spent the entire time staring and stroking my hand.  I don't think he blinked once.  It ended up being the perfect combination of fear and fascination; he seemed to love it.

Our noisy neighbors had no effect on him at all that night ... he was too exhausted to be bothered by any yells, bangs, or pops.

Then today I went to the gym, and a young gal saddled the bike next to me.  She had an iPhone, and after she had selected her tunes, she put it to a picture of a young man all decked out in his military camo.  There was desert behind him.  She stared at that picture for the rest of her workout.

I ran through a million questions I wanted to ask her, but also thought of a million ways she would find me offensive or obtrusive, and so succumbing to that shy girl somewhere inside me, I just walked away.  Now I really would like to say thank you to everyone serving in the military.  And thank you to your loved ones.  It hardly seems fair that I get to enjoy my little family, our government aide, and without hardly a thing to worry about.  Thank you thank you thank you for giving that to us.

3 comments:

  1. It was fun having you guys there. I was glad to learn that I am not the only person who thought it was, Knip it in the butt" We have original Scene It too. We should bust it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALLLLIIIIIEEE!! Gosh im sorry it has taken me weeks to respond! Our internet has been down... grrr. But thanks for your comment All I love you so much! And I will be needing some serious love from Jamie and your mom haha I already warned them! Thanks for talking to me the other week, it is so refreshing to talk to you! All is well haha I hope you guys are doing well, looks like you had the funnest 4th with cute Mac! I love your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed when you said that Mark has had his fix of tattoos..."G" -Chris

    ReplyDelete