I've been talking to a couple friends of mine who are about to have their first baby, and it has been so fun! They ask questions about preparing, and I remember doing the same. Gee, what a crazy time of life that is. So many emotions ranging from giddy excitement to plain fear. And also a desire to know what to feel; it's just crazy. Anyway, what it really boils down to is that nothing can prepare you, but you'll be fine. We can be around kids our whole lives, but it is just so different when you have complete responsibility for such a little person, who happens to be an exciting mixture of you and your sweetheart, all bundled in a helpless, irresistible package. It's very busy work, but a different kind of busy from anything you've ever experienced. So really, nothing can prepare you for it. But in that desperate scramble to nurture and provide without any real guidelines, you end up pouring all of your self into it, and that ends up being exactly what your little one needs.
It's just ... very important.
So, in honor of this great day, we called our mothers, notified them of some nifty little packages in the mail, had an enormous breakfast (thank you Mark!) and enjoyed church, Sunday Dinner, naps, walks, Pete's Dragon, books, Mario, and cookies interlaced throughout. Best of all we had Brooke and Chris with us, who happen to be visiting from Logan. They are hilarious, an absolute riot to talk to.
And Mark said some very nice things. "Plain and precious" comes to mind. There is just something about a sincere compliment from Mark ... it's very wonderful. And we are getting a grill for a combined Mother's day/Mark's birthday present ... can't WAIT!
The sister missionaries stopped by, they had made this for me!
I love these ladies. Thank you Sister Choi and Sister Funaki!
Oh, gawrsh. :D I'm glad you liked my post.
ReplyDeleteBeing a mother is so...grand! And I love your line "you end up pouring all of your self into it, and that ends up being exactly what your little one needs." That's exactly what I hope to be able to look back and say that I did-put all of myself into this work.
Happy Mother's Day!