Oh my sweet, sweet tiny man.
Harrison got his baby blessing on January 4th.
Mark blessed him, and Bumpa, Uncle Jake, Uncle Benny, and Uncle Curtis stood in the circle.
They blessed him at our church across the street, at nine a.m. ... I couldn't believe how many family members showed up that early!
We spent the night before prepping; Mark grabbed folding chair after folding chair from the church. My sister Jamie cleaned blinds and swept floors. My parents helped me meal-prep for a brunch after the blessing.
Morning of, we were a whirlwind. Harrison handled it like a champ. Which is his usual. Poor guy had a good little case of newborn zits; made worse by the fact that I was eating chocolate ... which I have since discovered he's pretty sensitive to. But he smiled and cooed and waited patiently till we had everyone ready ... then I dressed and fed him and we attempted a family picture.
However, Mac was not having it. Mark had just told him he could not take ANYONE's phones to sacrament meeting (a rule we always have, but for some reason he thought that because all our family was in town that rule was out the window), and so Mac sat in a huff in the corner.
So while I tried to reason with him, this was the family picture we got:
Then Mark was off with Belle and most of the family to save some seats for the rest of us.
Harrison cooed and smiled at me as I fed and changed him.
Mac huffed.
Eventually I convinced him that Harrison would be so sad if he didn't see this special day (it's been a while, but I think I had to threaten to take all phone access away for the week ... wish I could say he felt the need to be there for his baby brother!).
Harrison, Mac, and I sat down just in time, and the blessing was perfect. The Spirit was strong, Mark was wonderful, and Harrison just stared at everyone silently.
And upon our return to the house, the breakfast burritos were a hit.
Our tiny half-finished home was filled to the gills, and it felt wonderful to be able to provide a place and food for all our loved ones. We even happened to find an incredible deal on the perfect sectional, and it was delivered two days before they all arrived.
It was a loud Sunday afternoon; full of all the best things. Five women helping me in the kitchen, kids tripping over each other and giggling downstairs. Dad told the story of how he met Mom, and Mom interjected here and there to keep his story factual. Chris told everyone what she knew about her possible judicial mission for the church, and the kids ran up and down the stairs.
Late that evening, when the house was quiet, Mark and I snuggled our tiny Harrison in the front room. Mark said, "There are a lot of people who love you, buddy. They filled up our house today."
And my heart was full.
No comments:
Post a Comment