The rest of March was great.
I got put in Young Women's at church; teaching the Mia Maids and going to Wednesday night activities has been a blast. Mark is in the Sunday School Presidency, which he fondly nicknames, "The Back-up to the Back-up Role Taker", but he is also an occasional bell-ringer.
We braved free-entry day at Hogle Zoo. Felt like going to Disneyland on any day Utah has some kind of kids-are-out-of-school holiday. (If you are planning a Disneyland trip, stay away if any Utah schools are closed!) Hogle Zoo was really neat, watching elephants do little tricks for their lunch, seals nearly running into their glass, and gorillas staring the kids down.
I even had two groups of friends to hang with, one where everyone had one child (strapped in to some sort of carier) and the other with multiple children hovering around a stroller ... so my crazy wandering daughter kept us somewhere between the two.
We attended our first baseball game of the season. It was a college team. University of Utah, actually. Not my top choice of schools ... but they were red, and it was baseball. So my family was happy.
I got to be a doula for family! And no, believe it or not, this is not my blood-cousin, it's Mark's. Mattie looks much more like she belongs to my family, though. What an experience to help out at a birth of someone you have special ties to. Love, love, loved it. Welcome to the world, little Lily.
Signed Macky-boy up for his first ever baseball team. He has finally reached the magical age of four, and we found a league that lets four-year-olds try out coach's pitch. Mac practiced feverishly outside on our homemade baseball field. He dragged Mom, Dad, and even the one neighbor kid (who's seven years old) into his practicing regime. If that boy is anything, he is dedicated.
My birthday was quite the event this year. Felt like I got to party with all my top peeps. I got an old-fashioned family party in Logan, complete with my choice of homemade food made by my mama, and two cakes. I then left the kids in Logan and went with Mark back to Salt Lake. I had a day to myself (which I had big plans for, but ended up sitting and staring a lot more than actually getting things done. I don't regret it), and once Mark was off work, we went to this gorgeous restaurant:
![]() |
| Layla Mediterranean Grill and Mezze |
We then moved on to the Anniversary Inn. First time visiting ... gorgeous, and kinda weird wondering how many people have been in these rooms. But a massive jetted tub, breakfast in bed, and just hanging out with the cutest guy I know ... awesome.
Tuesday was spent hiking and exploring a park with countless memorials to fallen soldiers. Mark and I scoured the names for something suitable for this baby. (If it's a boy, I have NO IDEA what we'll name it.)
We then toured the capitol building and debated whether or not we could successfully sneak out just one slab of granite for a countertop. Deciding against it, we drove back to Logan and brought back the kiddos.
My actual day of birth was spent with these two lovelies. We ate too much junk food, played outside, let the house go to the dogs, and went out to Frozen.
What a birthday. It's good to be 27.
And then ... Mac had his first-ever baseball practice. Oh man. The excitement was tangible. Mac got his shirt (complete with number and name) and hat for his new A's team; the boy was on cloud nine.
Oh, and then it snowed.
And while that feels a little weird for almost-April, I had to remind myself that this is a UTAH spring we're talking about here, and I should be grateful it wasn't June and snowing. But mostly, I was grateful that I wasn't in California, where my old stomping ground of La Habra had just experienced a massive, wall-cracking, t.v. breaking earthquake ... followed by days and days of aftershocks.
I'll take a little snow in my March, thank you very much.




Okay, so if you really want to be weirded out...that EXACT room at the anniversary inn is where Kent and I spent our wedding night... yep. :)
ReplyDelete