My sister and her new little hubby came.
Those two are just ... sweeter than sweet. I tell you, I will write about love day in and day out ... but for those two, it's all about verbal love. They reminded me there's a whole world of compliments and thank you's out there; one I need to participate in more often.
They arrived on a Tuesday, which happened to be the very day one of my doula clients went into labor. I was riddled with guilt that I couldn't show these newlyweds a good time, but I gotta admit ... I was so grateful to know they would be around to help me with my kids should I need it.
See, as much as I love my little doula job, it's hard to wait around for a birth. I have to be able to drop things (specifically my kids) at a moment's notice, and without family? Well that's kind of difficult. But as soon as each due date approaches, I start doing some massive praying ... and every single birth has worked out.
This one was incredible; my client called me in right as my hubby was about to close up shop for the day, so I took the kids to him and he made his way out to the airport to pick up Michael and Jamie. Mark had them to himself for the rest of the day ... so he got a real taste of the hosting business, and I brought home the bacon.
I ended up being at the birth all night long, arriving at about nine a.m. the next day. I was ready to guzzle a Monster drink and finally be with my sister, but she shooed me away to bed and took the kids for the rest of the day.
You guys, I wanted to cry.
And guess what? It got even better: I woke up to a nice, cool house.
While I was sleeping, Jamie loved on my kids and Michael fixed our air conditioning. Yes. He is officially one of my favorite people.
I miss living by family. And my kids felt the same. They were in heaven with this loving couple, and cried when they left. (Mac even drew a picture of a frowning face for them.)
We spent the rest of their time here doing the California classics:
Angel's games.
The beach.
And Disneyland. (Just downtown Disney for me and the kids ... prices have really gone up on those tickets and we couldn't quite fork out the dough this time.)
And of course, we chit-chatted our way through it all. Michael is just precious as can be. My sister really picked one that will care for her the rest of his days; I will never have to worry about laying the big-sister-smack-down on him!
But I do have to admit that it was odd for me to not have her to myself. Share my sister? After 24 years? It will take my selfish self some getting used to.
I guess I can finally say I understand why Jamie cried when I told her I was going to marry Mark six years ago. It always bothered me; for heaven's sake, couldn't she see how happy and in love I was?? But it's just weird to know that things will never be the same, and that she now has somebody else to share secrets with and whisper to all night.
It's a good thing Michael is such a great guy.
Thanks for coming you two; we love you to pieces.
I completely relate to the sister thing and having to share them. Aren't we so lucky to have such great siblings? Anyways, I miss you Allie! I really hope your big plans include coming home :)
ReplyDeleteI felt the same way when Josh got married last month---when I got married, I was kind of upset that he was sad about it- I was SO happy, why wasn't he?! BUT then, when he got married I thought, oh, yeah, now I have to share you. I get it.
ReplyDeleteBut it's good too, because I get another awesome sister out of the deal!
As for the peaches on my September post, it was the beginning of a recipe for Browned Butter Peach Milkshakes.....http://www.thelittlekitchen.net/brown-butter-peach-milkshakes-recipe/
About as heavenly as it can get. Seriously. You ought to try them! :)