On July 28th, we celebrated five years of wedded bliss. Or adventures. And adventures.
This anniversary turned out extra special ... it's the first one we've ever really spent money on.
Mark and I went to Summit House, where we were greeted by a valet driver (who, no doubt, felt so cool driving our trusty little altima complete with pretzel-crusted car seats in back), and then stepped into a Scottish hunting lodge. It reminded me of Sherwood Hills a bit ... where Mark took me on our first date.
That, by the way, added a whole new dimension to the evening. When I sat across from Mark I got a twinge of that same feeling I did back on that day; a grand mix of nervousness, excitement, and a desire to connect with him. (Meaning I couldn't stop talking.) I remember he was wearing his white button-up with red stripes and jeans. It was the first time I had seen him in something besides his Olive Garden get-up, and boy did he dress down nicely. And he smelled the same ... still hasn't used up that old bottle of cologne.
Five years down the road, we held hands this time.
And when we got to our table, a hand-written Happy Anniversary note was waiting for us from the Summit House staff. We were also put in the same room with other people celebrating various occasions, and so the general atmosphere was quite pleasant.
We ate three expensive courses and drank expensive water. We watched a wedding, family pictures, and the general smogy splendor of Southern California through our bay window.
And we just had some alone time without children. That we were happily paying for.
I felt so grown up.
Also, I felt very young. The couple next to us was celebrating 67 years together.
It seems babies and new businesses will not be our lives forever.
We are only just beginning.
No comments:
Post a Comment