The distance I have yet to cover is still lengthy ... but I'm beginning to see that I have more grit in me than I had previously guessed.
Like when I started thinking a lot about the family I have in Arizona (loads of them), and tried to remember the last time I came out to see them. I couldn't remember. Time to remedy that!
So I up and decided to go see my family. The next day.
Luckily Aunt Ceely was a good sport and housed us while we bounced from place to place.
Belen got to meet her Great-Grandma and Grandpa Johnson for the first time, and Mac showed off all the growth he had accomplished in the past three years.
| While I didn't mean to focus on the Old Prospector, he is a fixture of my childhood and I was glad to see him still surveying for gold on top of the organ. |
And then my son promptly fell asleep (or put under a spell?), still grasping a symbol of my younger years ... the magical electric ball. That thing has now entertained generations.
We cheered at soccer games and football games. We walked around malls and went out to lunch. We napped and talked and watched movies. We played with the new "Giant Puppy", as Mac calls her.
At church, Mac marched fearlessly to Sunbeam class and Belle had her first solo experience with nursery ... and she loved it. It was the first Sunday I have had to myself since Belle was born, and that is momentous. I met an old acquaintance from high school (Desiree Wertman ... anybody remember her?), and just soaked up classes without any interruptions.
My kids had a blast with my cousins ... puppies, pretend play, marbles, walks, sports, parks, video games, movies ... there was always something going on, and I didn't life a finger. Everyone was sad when we finally parted ways.
And I proved to myself that I can do whatever I want to do ... even gather my babies and drive for hours to stay with distant relatives in the scorching desert in order to build relationships with those who matter most.
Motherhood is not for the faint of heart, people.
No comments:
Post a Comment