Mac can get out of his crib.
He gets out at least one time each night.
Sometimes two.
He figured it out one day when he was really fighting me over a nap. He sure did not want to do it, and I sure did. I tossed him in and left the room. I hear sobbing, silence, a thump, and then suddenly he is running into my room saying, "I did it! I did it!" Sigh.
So far we just keep putting him back to bed, and trying to explain that he has to stay in there until he sees light outside. But once it hits 5 o'clock, there is no keeping him in bed. At five o'clock either one of us gets in the bed next to his crib, or we give him the iPod and try to get him to leave us alone.
What else do we do?
I assume he's just getting us ready for the baby ... right? Trying to make it less of a shock when we're waking up every hour or two? How very kind.
The problem is, I keep having nightmares that once I get the baby down, Mac will come tip-toeing in, whispering, "All done night-night."
No Mac, no. You have been my best sleeper up to this point ... don't fail me now.
Allie... When we moved we gave Brayden a big kid bed and gave Kate the crib. Brayden wasn't staying in his bed at all so we put a child proof door knob cover on the inside of his door. We also completely child-proofed his room. If he falls asleep by the door we go put him back in his bed. He is now realizing if he gets out of his bed he can't get out of his room.
ReplyDeleteSigh. Truthfully, the hardest part of having Ellie is that Nicholas wakes up so early. Ellie will finally go to sleep at 1-ish, she's up at 3-ish, I feed her until 4-ish, then Nicholas is up at 5:30 while Ellie continues to sleep until 9. It's torture, thinking about how I SHOULD still be sleeping since my newborn is but I'm up awake with my bouncing boy. Technically, Ellie is sleeping a six hour stretch every night, but I'm having to get by on 3 or so hours of sleep every day. Not so fun.
ReplyDeleteThe only thing that saves me is knowing that the sleep DOES get better eventually. Just have to hold out until then. :)
When Kyle finally learned how to get out of his crib, we decided it wasn't safe any more. So we switched him to a bed. What worked for us was doing the normal bedtime routine and tucking him in. If he got out of bed, I would take him back in and set him on his bed, no eye contact, no talking, no retucking. The first night was rough, it lasted something like an hour. But the next night it was only 20 minutes. And the third night he got the picture, that there was no attention for getting out of bed so he stayed. Now he stays there til I come get him in the morning. A few months ago he started trying to get off again and I told him that if he got out of bed I would take away his monkey for the night (big deal) and that fixed it. Hope that helps!
ReplyDelete