The knowledge that I was growing a human being and would have complete responsibility for his welfare spurred me on to eat better and exercise regularly, not just when I had a burst of energy. I wanted to pack things into that little body that would help him to grow into all he could be, which required me to re-think what "emotional eating" was to me. I wanted to go for long, slow jogs to get the blood moving through me and through him; to keep the good stuff coming in and the excess moving out of the way.
That has continued on for me, and though I am far from perfect, I won't lie: I feel about a billion times better about myself and this studly little dude I am attempting to grow into a good human being.
Lately though, I have been quite stressed about emergency prepardness. Being Mormon, I've heard about it my whole life. Grow a garden, have food storage, have an emergency plan, etc. etc. etc. I never gave it much thought, though.
Until all this happened.
There have been all sorts of non-stop updates about the nuclear power plant, about radiation spreading. Living on the coast as I do, I have been slightly paranoid and have checked reports regularly.
I finally decided it's time to get some emergency preparedness going. So I got a list from my always-prepared sister-in-law Heidi, and have packed a bag with the following:
- Water
- 3-day food kit
- Compass
- Ibuprofen
- Crackers
- Chapstick
- Deodorant
- Socks
- Poncho
- Flashlights
- Pocket Knife
- Sewing kit
- Rope
- Can Opener
- Garbage Bag
- Book of Mormon, G's
- Whistle
- Money (small bills)
- First Aid Kit
- Hygine kit - tampons, wipes, tooth brush
- Copies of insurance, emergency contacts, i.d.'s
- Books, card games, coloring books, crayons
- Mess kit
- Matches
- Radio
- Batteries
Am I being paranoid? Maybe. But it sure makes me feel better.

No comments:
Post a Comment